1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[January Article] "Gary Payton trashed-talk his son into college basketball stardom"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jun 24, 2016.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Must be tough being Gary Payton II. Almost looks like he wants to smack him in this photo. Not like the entitled brat Curry...who now panics under pressure :grin:

[​IMG]

Gary Payton trash talked his son into college basketball stardom

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...yton-ii-oregon-state-beavers-glove-trash-talk

All the quotes:

------------------------------------------------------------------
    "He was soft. He was really soft [in high school]," Payton told SB Nation. "I told him, I just told my son straight up -- I don't like your game. I don't think you're good enough to play at the next level or any level. I don't have to waste my time coming here."

"I didn't know how to handle it with him in my ear," Payton II said. "It really got to me. Just playing in high school, he used to be there yelling and screaming. I broke down and really got off my game. I didn't want to play."

"Growing up it's kinda tough to follow in the footsteps of a legend," Payton II told SB Nation. "When your dad is a Hall of Famer, you know they expect you to be great instantly -- just pick up those genes and follow behind that. I kinda shaded away from that."

"When he got here [OSU] people said, 'He's a gamer,'" Tinkle said. "He's not going to give you all you want in practice but come game time he'll be ready to go. He's changed that now. He's bringing the energy and game-type intensity to practice every day."

"Gary II is every bit as competitive as his father. He just has a different personality."

Oregon State finished 17-14, which surprised even Tinkle himself. For the Paytons, there was no doubt bigger things were waiting this season. Bolstered by a strong recruiting class led by Tres Tinkle, son of the head coach, and Stephen Thompson Jr., son of an Oregon State assistant, Payton II knew reinforcements were on the way. Now he had to take his game to the next level.

To do that, Gary Payton took his son the place he knows best: Oakland.

"This was probably his hardest summer," Payton said. "I took him away from a lot of things. Gary usually wants to be around his friends in Vegas. I had him come here by himself. Just me and him."

Payton Sr. stressed the importance of individual workouts, rather than the friendly, group atmosphere many of today's players train under. When Payton II did go against other people, it wasn't his friends: his father helped recruit Oakland native Damian Lillard and Compton's DeMar DeRozan to show his son what the next level was going to be like.

"He's done it on his own and he's done it his own way," Payton said. "A lot of people are saying he's got big shoes to fill coming from the same school as his dad, but I told him at one point, make your own name. And that's what he's done. He's made Gary II his own thing.

"He's got his own style that a lot of people are recognizing. It's not what he can do like his father. Now it's what Gary II can do. And that's what I like."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------​

Full-article spoilered for length

1 person likes this.
  2. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Thanks for sharing heyp!

Sounds like Gary is a tough love kind of guy. I hope Jr. is half as good as his dad was on the floor! One can only hope...:(

3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

wow that's awesome. i'm drinking some red kool-aid this morning. i think this kid is going to be a solid starter in the league for many years.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

damn, The Glove is a mean mofo!

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

btw: In the full article, it says his mom gave him the nickname "The Thief." Kinda lame. Let's hope Bullard and Bill don't pick up on that.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Shot around 30 percent on his jumpshots last season. We need to get whoever taught Kawhi Leonard how to shoot on staff.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Gary "pick-pocket" Payton II

I like Hot Pocket for some reason, but I'll let his teammates name him.

Edit: Just noticed we're in order of sign up date:

Aruba77 July 1999
    HeyP Oct 1999
    rockbox July 2000
    don g Aug 2001

#7 don grahamleone, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  8. marky :)

marky :) Member

I think the nickname to beat so far is "The Mitten".

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I like "Kitten Mittons".

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Why not just The Mitt. Its not as jokative and feminine.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

From the full article:

As his profile has grown, so has the temptation to follow up on his father's infamous nickname. Gary Payton II just wants you to know one thing: don't call him 'The Mitten.'

It doesn't fit, you must acquit.

13. hakeemthagreat

Gary Payton was my favorite player and I'll root for his son. Great pick

14. Mutombo

Mutombo Member

We need Gary Payton in the locker room and practice floor ASAP.

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

IF GP2 is 30% of what his dad was, we got a steal.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What accountability can do.

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If your dad is called "the Glove" what kind of nickname you're gonna get to match that?

The Mitten?

18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

The Gauntlet

or

The Claw

19. craguin

craguin Member

Sounds too political, but would work if GPII had a hair style that looked like it was combed "with olive oil and a fork".

20. jaredg777

jaredg777 Contributing Member

Kid Glove? ;)