1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Coaching matters

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, May 25, 2016.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Since everybody's going crazy now that OKC might win this series and potentially the finals, this is what we can all agree Leslie & Morey should take from this: coaching (matters). Despite all the threads and posts, the Harden trade was a good move that we 'won' if you want to look at it like that; there's nothing wrong with analytics, we need a second star probably to win so that makes his star chasing somewhat justified and we are not going to rebuild so going OKC style is not an option.

The one thing you can hold against Morey is how he downplays coaching.With Leslie now getting involved, it means we could end up seriously losing out on potentially becoming a contender for the next 5-7 years if we sign a D'Antoni or whomever who is not capable of changing this team's culture, approach, instill some discipline and has the right people around him so we can get better on both defense and offense.

Billy Donovan I think we can all agree has changed OKC for the good. He calls time outs, is hands on, sits his star players when needed, has good rotations, does not go small ball because everybody else does and actually uses his bigs etc. Scott Brooks basically rode the talent he had like McHale did with Harden (and Howard). They both did okay, but were not game changers, not really good at X's and O's and calling plays both seemed to be bad at.

We are now at a crucial point where we can either take a chance like OKC did on a assistant / college coach and get someone who might get the job done or just pick someone who agrees with your philosophy and allows you to pick their staff and basically use them like a puppet. I hope Morey is man enough and does not let his ego keep him from admitting he made a mistake in thinking coaching only moves the needle 5 wins more or less. Coaching matters and that's all that matters these coming weeks. Very crucial, let's hope for the best!

1 person likes this.
  2. 2k1

2k1 Member

i think they agree. coaching matters so we're gonna take two years to find a coach...

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Not only do you need 2 superstars, but you need 2 superstars that can score lights out at and are basically unstoppable on offense.

OKC-Durant, Westbrook
    GS- Curry, Klay
    Cle-Lebron, Kyrie, Love
    Tor-Lowry, DeRozan

You notice all these teams have 2 guys that can take over a game at any given moment...and on many occasions that is what it takes to win. Rockets have never had a partner for Harden. Howard was great the first 2 years in terms of defense and rebounding but his offensive impact was minimal.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coaching matters? Yeah, and how sad are you hear the three finalists are Mike D'Antoni, Stephen Silas & James Borrego?

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

At the end of the day coaching doesn't matter. A coach is just a place holder who accounts for may be 3 wins at best.

[​IMG]

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

fixed it for you.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Midrange matters too.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

if coaching matters, why is the coach of the year getting beat by a team whose coaching consists of "yeah so Russ & KD go ahead and win the game by being awesome, everybody else, look alive, defend, d and hustle"

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Disagree. Only Harden leadership matters.

10. Drogba

Drogba Member

Yep. Leadership is all that matters. Role players? Coaching? 2nd stars? **** that, a great leader would make Brewer hit wide open shots.

11. thedude077

thedude077 Member

According to LeBron James and Carmelo, superstars matter.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Nah, only $$ matters and Le$ is making tons.

13. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

#AllSkillsMatter

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Everyone should know this.

Name one team that has won it all without a top tier head coach.

15. rockets13champs

Lol this reminded me of the show family matters

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Doc Rivers isn't that good IMO. He had a really good veterans in their prime that keep other players in check, so he really didn't have to do much.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bill Russell was a terrible coach - but they won because he was a great player.

DD

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I do not know who FTW Rockets FTW is and I do NOT give a rat's arse about him. All I know is that he has low reading comprehension skills and parades Morey misquotes as statements of fact. Don't bring this fake tough guy in the GARM. He is Sam Dekker of posting.

If you're gonna quote Morey, you might as well bring up the correct quote. Then again, what do I expect from you?

If you're gonna be a mindless stooge and not address the fact that you are misquoting Morey, I'll be a mindless stooge and post until you address it.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

"Good teams dont win close games, they avoid them"

Well... we definitely avoid them, cause we get blown out every damn game.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Where is a source for this? The closest thing I have ever found on this matter is when Morey said in late game situations coaching only affects a handful of games. Let that sink in, late game situations.

Look at game 2 of the WCF against GS last year. Rockets get the rebound and McHale has one of two options, call a timeout and let a team that has pretty decent defense recover, or let Harden trek down the court and score. Either way, coaching in those situations has little effect. Now, if you argue that the Rockets should be practicing those plays and situations, then I agree. But that isn't a late game decision, that is training camp. I don't think Morey has ever said training camp and/or practice doesn't matter. If you have, please post the quote. Otherwise, stop perpetuating the word vomit of that Morey doesn't value coaching.