1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Justice prevails: 4-3 ruling in Fl Supreme Court to begin recounting immediately

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Danilo, Dec 8, 2000.

1. Danilo

Danilo Member

In a 4-3 decision, the Florida Supreme Court has reversed a lower court ruling in Al Gore's contest of the presidential election and ordered manual recounts to begin immediately.

The court also added 383 votes to Al Gore's total, from Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties. The Florida Supreme Court ruling cuts Bush lead to 154 votes.

The court ruled 4-3 in favor of an appeal filed by the Gore campaign regarding a dispute of hand counted votes. The high court said the standard to be used to count votes "is the one to be provided by the legislature," which requires the ballot to show "a clear intent of the voter."

[This message has been edited by Danilo (edited December 08, 2000).]

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

And the plot thickens. Bush is already appealing, but I think I like Gore's chances.

------------------
    "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence ?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Only 4 went for Gore? Which democrat didn't get paid enough?

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

4. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

How many openings are supposedly coming up on the US Supreme Court in the next 8 years?

------------------

5. Danilo

Danilo Member

Obviously these 4 justices weren't fazed by the Republican-organized mobs.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Clutch, how much do you estimate Bush as paid the Republican controlled Florida Congress to call this special session.

Give it up, it's getting old.

(sorry if anyone saw the first unedited post)

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

[This message has been edited by Rocketman95 (edited December 08, 2000).]

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice language... now you and shanna go post a few "iammiranda" posts and calm down a bit.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Clutch, you read it too fast. Sorry about that, I edited it immediately.

Thanks for blowing our cover!! [​IMG]

------------------
    "He was under more balls than a midget hooker."-Bobby Hill

visit www.swirve.com

and, http://www.geocities.com/clutch34_2000 for great Rocket insight by some of your fellow BBS posters!

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I LOVE the title of this thread...JUSTICE PREVAILS!

He he! That is comical. Gore represents all that is good, and just! Funny.

Is there any basketball on tonite? I bet TNT has a game on. Maybe TBS?

I am hungry.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

This entire fiasco is turning into a mystery wrapped inside of a riddle.

My Father is extremely happy. His politics junkie habit will now be exquisitely satiated during the next month.

I, on the other hand, wish it would just end. I really don't care who the next President is any more. Neither Bush nor Gore will hold any credibility with me whatsoever.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

[This message has been edited by RocketMan Tex (edited December 08, 2000).]

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Well, they did order a statewide recount. If you're going to have a recount, it ought to really be a recount of all the undervotes, not just ones from handpicked counties.

I just question whether the guy who is going to have to count 45,000 or so ballots and determine the intent of the voter is going to be able to do so in the three or four days remaining. Just a few days ago, David Boies was saying that it would take a week just to count the undervotes in their selected counties. Now they've got at least twice as many ballots to count in nearly half as much time.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

12. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

I can't convey my feelings any better than this.

-Turbo

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

HONESTLY . . Do you think either side will get ANY satisfaction
    This will probably be the 1st election that
    will leave some REAL bruised feelings

Honestly I've always thought of Dems and Reps
    and two brothers. .. with snips at each other
    This d*mn election is starting to get the
    Kane and Abel . . brother thing.
    [Or the Menedez Bros and the Public is the Parents]

It is getting ugly in here and out there

no matter what . . after this thing. . .

1/2 the country will think alot of f*ckery
    went on and someone stole this election

Rocket River
    Civil War. . .not yet but . ..

------------------

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I don't see how Gore supporters could complain if the recounts finish on time and Bush still wins (which is not an entirely unlikely scenario. The bulk of the Gore votes may well have already been counted. Even in Miami-Dade, the VP's current lead may not hold up, since Gore's victory in Miami-Dade county was a lot smaller than in other counties and many Republican-leaning districts had not been counted when Miami-Dade stopped its previous count).

And if they count all the votes in time and Bush ends up on the short end, I'm not going to complain. Nothing that Gore has done has been outside of the law. He pursued legal avenues available to him under the law. The fact that the courts may have ruled in ways that were contrary to the law is not Gore's fault.

And really, the Florida Supreme Court may well be regretting their decision to act outside the law in their previous decision. Had they not extended the statuatory deadline for certification, there would be more time to count the votes now. And if the counting is not completed on time, they're only left with two bad choices: The Legislature picks the electors (something they say they are going to do anyway, but I would hope that they would only do so if it was clear that the count wouldn't be finished on time) or the entire state of Florida simply doesn't count.

Seems to me that by extending the deadline before, the Florida Supreme Court made the process far messier than it would've been had they followed the law and the U.S. Constitution and denied the request to extend the deadline. In a way, the court's bad decision is coming back to haunt them.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Oh, sleep! That's where I'm a viking.

------------------
    Mmmmmmm. Sacrelicious.