1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

trade idea: taylor for Dalembert and MacCulloch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NetsFan2002, Dec 30, 2004.

1. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

Dalembert will be a good fit for Rockets and Sixers will be more than happy to discard MacCulloch and his 6M salary.
    I wonder if this violates any league rules because MacCulloch has already retired.

2. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

faint, there is no reply but just negaitve reviews.
    If you don't like it, please tell your reasons.

3. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

I just noticed my signature, which was written about 15 days ago.
    Now JJ is gone as I expected.

Considering more than 70% ids in this BBS dislike the latest trade, now I regard those negative reviews as compliment.

At least I am rational.

4. corby

corby Contributing Member

Billy King fields calls from all over the league every week inquiring about Dalembert. Dalembert is a hot property, and if the 76ers decide to trade him they are going to get much more than a mediocre player with a terrible contract.

Aside from that, neither Yao, Mutombo, nor Dalembert have the defensive quickness necessary to play 4. He would be a terrible fit for our roster.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Wow NF...this thread is really padding your post count!:D

Taylor...Dalembert/MacCulloch...NASA shuttle toilets...all over priced and won't get you to the Finals. We have two big superstars rights now...we need solid role players...specifically in the PF position and I don't think Dalembert is that guy. Plus...if anything, we don't want to pick up similar salary restrictions. We desperately need to unload salary and, unless MacCulloch's contract is off the books after this season, we can't afford to trade salary filler for salary filler.

6. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

Taylor is just not a good fit for Rockets and he should be better than the word " mediocre player".

As to the quickness, I saw Dalembert's games from high school and I don't think he doesn't have the defensive quickness as you said. Yes, he is not as quick as EG, but he is quicker than cato and now with our quick backcourt, I don't see why he can't do better than Cato.

7. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

why rockets needs to unload salary and how?
    Unless Rockets decide to discard Yao, Rockets have no chance to unload the salary in the next 10 years.

8. corby

corby Contributing Member

Cool, man. I'll let you make the pitch:

Hey, Billy, have I got the player for YOU! Think Kenny Thomas, without all those annoying rebounds...

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

McCollough retired and can't be traded.

I dont think the Sixers would trade Dalembert for Mo straight up. They would have to throw in some other players just to match, which would make it even more difficult.

10. NetsFan2002

NetsFan2002 Member

KT is not KT last year.
    Last year he was playing to pay back his fat salary and now he has just come back to normal.

I admit it will be a loss for sixers. But playing after Marc, I just don't see why dalembert still wants to remain as a sixer.

11. clove

clove Contributing Member

No one has done this yet. I'll just do it to see how it feels.

Dalembert would average 3rebounds a 2 points under JVG.

12. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Todd MacCulloch is retired

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I disagree. Dalembert is a very athletic player, much more than Cato, and JVG got Cato to play effectively at the 4. I think Dalembert would be a nice fit with us.

He was able to do 8ppg and 8rpg in limited minutes last season, thats not too bad.

14. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The Rockets have a large portion of their salary cap (outside of Yao and T-Mac) that is filled by "dead space". Now I'm not saying that Taylor and Howard aren't somewhat productive players, but for their salary cap slot, they aren't earning it! Not to mention, we are paying a ton of cash to an unimpressive Charlie Ward (FOR 2 1/2 MORE YEARS) and Clarence Weatherspoon is also making a large amount (WHILE RIDING THE BENCH). So, between those four salary slots, the money could be spent more wisely...such as luring FAs here with the cash rather than with the MLE. Now I'm not a capologist by any means, but I can tell you that the Rockets current contract situation has them locked with the current team for several more years...and that's why they need to unload salary.

(NOTE: due to obnoxious advertising, HoopsHype is a forbidden word here in cf.net land...so if you want to check out the Rockets' salary cap figures, copy the link into your address line and remove the *'s and add hoopshype...also...be sure to contribute to the tipjar!!! :) ...same thing with "inside hoops")

2004-05 Salary Cap $43.87 million (from "inside hoops.com")

Rockets Salary Cap Figures from HoopsHype (from "hoops hype.com")

Maurice Taylor
    04/05 $8,450,000
    05/06 $9,100,000
    06/07 $9,750,000

Clarence Weatherspoon
    04/05 $5,899,400
    05/06 $6,353,200

Juwan Howard (sickening)
    04/05 $5,408,700
    05/06 $5,900,400
    06/07 $6,392,100
    07/08 $6,883,800
    08/09 $7,375,500 (player option)

Chalie Ward (he's not costing too much, but still a waste nonetheless)
    04/05 $1,700,000
    05/06 $2,040,000 (team option)

As you can see, from the $43 mill that represents this year's cap ($52 mill being the Rockets current reported salaries), roughly $21 million belong to the players that everyone is complaining about having horrible contracts with minimal output. And as for all of these players, their salaries will be increasing through the remainder of their contracts. (Keep in mind, I know these numbers are not exact and that their toll against the cap is not as exactly reported, the HoopsHype numbers were used for argument's sake :) ...like I said...I'm not a capologist.)

My point behind dumping salaries...players like Houston (the city and the team)...but we cannot lure any good FAs here while we are cash strapped. We need to have some breathing room and the MLE just doesn't cut it.

15. YallMean

YallMean Member

Crap we have 20 mil locked in for the 4 spot with pathetic production. If we dont clear this mess up, we cant be good!

16. Nuclear Yak

Nuclear Yak Member

Uh, I think Todd McCollough is a commentator for Comcast Sportsnet in the Philadelphia area here. So unless if you guys want to send one of your commentators over to philly, i think this trade would get a big

TRADE REJECTED

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Charlie Ward is the worst signing ever. In fact I'm sure the Rox woudla signed Dampier to a max contract after his one good season since CD seems to like signing guys after a career year

18. mfclark

mfclark Member

Philly would never trade Dalembert for Taylor. They already have three other players of a similar ilk -- not to mention why would they want to trade one of the better center prospects (who has done very well when given the time) for the Rockets' trash?

So no NetsFan2002, your idea isn't exactly "rational." It takes more than 15 minutes for people to see threads as well -- and ifd they don't like what they see, why should they reply?

19. micah1j

micah1j Member

I heard everyone on the Hornets are on the block including Baron Davis. How about Taylor + Mutombo for Baron Davis + Chris Andersen. We'd probably need to throw in a pick or two.

Basically a trade of Baron Davis to the Rockets for picks + cap space.

Would it be worth 2 First round picks for Davis? Would the Hornets take 2 1st Rounders + cap space for Davis or could they get better?

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

kyle korver for padgett + second round pick. even though korver is slumping it probably isn't enough for philly to make the trade.