1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

4 v 6 v 8 CFP format?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Jan 13, 2015.

?

What is the best CFP format?

1. 4-Team

8.7%
  2. 6-Team

32.6%
  3. 8-Team

54.3%
  4. Another variant

4.3%
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Ok, with college football crowning a champ in going through a 4-team playoff, what are your opinions?

Many of you like an 8-team format, while some like it the way it is now.

What do you guys think of a 6-team playoff, though, a la NFL? You'd have the 1 and 2 seeds waiting to see who their opponent is, and the 3-6 seeds battle for the right to face those two top teams. This might give the 1/2 seeds too much of an advantage though.

Poll incoming.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Just copy the FCS format.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

6 teams. The regular season still matters (to those old school thinking people who think the regular season is the "playoff") and you still get the controversy and butthurtedness that create storylines and ratings.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Leave it at 4 for the next 3 years and reassess. I'm no longer sure 8 is better than 4.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If 6 teams, you really need to drastically alter the schedule. The championship game would have to be on New Year's Day.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

256 team 8 week tournament.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I like 6-teams. It's not that hard to determine 6 very deserving teams.

If you go to 8, that's okay I guess, but my thought is to reduce the # of teams having 14 and 15-game seasons. We can't forget how *terrible* for the kids' health this game of football is. Most of them won't go pro, so you can't say "their brain will be mush anyway." They might have the chance of real lives after college.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Div III has 32 teams
    Div II has 24 teams
    FCS has 16 teams

NCAA basketball has 64 teams
    MLB has 10 teams
    NFL has 12 teams
    NBA has 16 teams
    NHL has 16 teams

There are 128 FBS football teams.

A four team playoff is far too small. Some people thought Ohio State should have been left out of the playoffs this season. TCU thinks they deserved to be in the playoffs this season.

Lets take most of the guess work and back room politics out of the NCAA playoffs. Allow all the conference champions into the playoffs and then have a few wild card teams voted in. A 16 team playoff seems appropriate when you have 128 teams going for those 16 spots.

Newlin likes this.
  9. Anticope

Anticope Member

My problem with an 8 team playoff is that it would most likely involve the Power 5 conference winners getting an automatic bid, thus greatly reducing the significance of non-conference games. A team could conceivably have a record of 8-5 and make the playoff, I don't like that at all. Regular season games are more important in college football than in any other sport and I think the 4 team playoff is perfect the way it is right now. Having said that, there's too much money to be made off of expanding, so I think it's inevitable either way.

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

4 is perfectly fine.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Any given Saturday. Ohio State struggled against unranked teams like Indiana and Michigan at home late in the season.

TCU deserved to be in the mix. Baylor did too but **** the bed after being up 20 in the fourth. We could have given Ohio State a better game than Oregon did.

12. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Who is the we? If Baylor... you thought Oregon defense got man handled do you think Baylor's would have fared better and vice versa.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

You act like Ohio State had some shut down defense all season long. Our rushing attack is better than Oregon's for sure.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Their last 3 games, Ohio State was a different team from what they were all season. If you don't understand that, oh well.

Maybe going 3rd string at QB gave Urban Meyer the motivational point of the decade. When OSU beat Wisconsin 59-0, shut down Melvin Gordon and was matched against Alabama (my least favorite team in college football), I was very happy. When they led Alabama 350-150 in yards at halftime, it was clear to me Ohio State was the best team in college football by a wide margin.

Oregon would beat Baylor or TCU, especially with their receivers intact.

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Just put everyone on equal footing and take eight teams. It's the same number of rounds as six teams.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I like the idea of 6 the best... 5 power conferences and one at large

I think it keeps the regular season important because you could earn a bye and it keeps it from getting to watered down. I think 8 is just to many.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why does every conference deserve to have a representative? All the teams in the SEC could suck one day for all we know. We used to get 4 loss Virginia Tech teams in BCS games, that's stupid. Never again. Georgia Tech beats FSU and I have to suffer watching them in a playoff game? Hell no, man.

18. likestohypeguy

I hope they keep it at4 as long as possible. That was perfect. Just the right amount of controversy, build up, butt hurt, upset, and satisfaction. Any more and it'd drag out too long, but this is enough over 2 to to give anyone who made a legitimate top 4 resume a chance, but not too many for a n 8 seed to get red hot at the perfect moment & run the table. Idk I don't need that. Conference championship, 1st round then natl championship is enough.

Four is enough.

19. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

64 team single-elimination hell in a cell battle royale with tables, ladders, and chairs.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member