1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Career move advice, Engineering

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

So I have a bachelor of science in Industrial Engineering I attained in late 2012, found my first and current job as a Metallurgical Engineer in late 2013. This current position relates nothing to what I learned in college but I've been able to grasp the concepts and thrive well. Lately been given projects of my own and likely my title is to be changed to Project Engineer, which comes with no raises or anything but new responsibilities. I'm due for a raise of 9% each year.

Now recently I've been contacted by a recruiter offering me a job as a Industrial Engineer with the salary offer likely to be what I'm due this year when i get a raise of 9%. The location is actually really near my house compared to the 45 minute drive to work I do right now.

My issue is if I take this job, would it put me in a field that has a lower ceiling salary earning-wise because Metallurgical engineering sounds like I'll be able to stay in the oil and gas industry much better than if I had the title Industrial. And oil and gas is $$$.

Please help.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Please note that since my background isn't in Metallurgy, I'll likely never be quite as good as those who actually majored in it, but I have done my best of working beyond my circumstance.

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Lol anyone?

1 person likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Stay as a Metallurgical Engineer

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Your degree won't be important with the more experience you get.

I'd research which career has a higher earning potential and stay that route.

Perhaps you aren't performing the best amongst your peers right now, but keep working and after a few more years of experience you can switch to another company with a fresh start and the needed expertise.

Signed, a former pickle salesman.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Thanks CCorn.

Ok, why?

7. bongman

bongman Member

sounds like you are still young. If so, I would personally value the possibility for more growth than immediate money.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

I agree. I see more growth if I switched to Industrial though, their job duties closely relate to managerial type roles.

9. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

go with the managerial role, there is no ceiling for that because every single industry requires people that can manage resources regardless of the level of skilled knowledge