1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Does BO'B already know who the QB of the future for the Texans is?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by NBAandNFLFan, Nov 23, 2014.

1. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

Watching the BC/FSU game yesterday, and then watching Ryan Mallet and the host of qbs that we as Texans fans have suffered through, it got me thinking what if we drafted a real franchise qb, one that loves the state of texas, and one that is a proven winner even when faced with severe adverse situation.

I did some digging on Jameis Winston's past and looked up info about his character to see if Winston is another Jamarcus Russell, or if he is a prodigy as few say

i hate to say it, and i know i will get flamed for saying this. but i think the texans should look at jameis winston in the draft( please let me explain). Winston for some reason i read loves Texas( is a huge fan of VY), i think his gf/fiancee goes to Rice, and Winston would have commited to Texas over ND, FSU, and Stanford had Mack Brown let him play 2 sports( baseball)

too me Winston is the surest thing in the draft( and i think BOB knows it), he is only trotting Mallet out there because he wants the fanvase to see that he is NOT the answer and so that they wont get flamed by fans for taking another qb in the draft

here is a video of BO'B breaking down Winston's skillset on ESPN before they played Auburn last year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IbiKnBl0HAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-----

here is Matt Miller ( for my money the best nfl scout in america) saying that Winston would be perfect for the Texans,

Winston is a rare athlete that can master offensive playbooks within a short period of time( according to Jimbo Fisher), his football iq is on par with Andrew Luck according to quarterback guru George Whitfield( who has worked with both qbs)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pl...ews.asp?sport=CFB&id=131089&line=35544&spln=1

----

NFL college of scouting expert of nfl.com wrote a piece on why Jameis Winston is the number 1 qb prospect from a talent standpoint, and the best qb prospect since Andrew Luck

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jameis-winston-is-no-1-qb-prospect-in-college

----

here is Mel Kiper and Todd Mcshay on Winston, with mcshay admitting he only has Mariota elevated over Winston because in his eyes Mariota is cleaner off the field...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MjYD6tgmucU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

-------

Winston simply reminds me of Steve Mcnair when he came out of Alcorn State( but Winston is WAYYYY ahead in terms of NFL readiness its almost scary)

-----

Keep in mind that Winston will also have offers from the mlb to play baseball, so he can basically pull an Elway and say that he is only playing for such and such team, and from what i have gathered i believe it will come down to Houston, or Arizona. Winston and his agent are gonna wanna send him to a team where the coach is offensive minded

---

plz do not flame me for my opinion, i have watched the texans suffer enough. I strongly believe BO'B is the right man for the job. I mean look at how Christian Hackenburg looks lost at Penn State without him, BO'B is simply an offensive genius.
    -----

here are some highlights on Winston below, notice the anticipation on his throws, he throws the ball where the recievers can get tons of YAC, thats a skill you either have or dont have.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IoL-z7evdkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cBssQZ3D-80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

here is another nfl scouting expert Russ Lande on his top 5 qb prospects regardless of age

notice where Bridgewater, Carr, and Mettenberger are in the top 5 and notice where Mariota and Winston... also notice, you do NOT see Manziel or Bortles in the top 5( how Bortles went number 3 overall is beyond me)

so far mettenberger, bridgewater, and carr are doing decent minus wins, they all show promise.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yzmvdpk-uuU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You had me until Winston. McNair will never, ever go for Winston. I'd be pleasantly surprised if he did, though.

You really lost me when you called Matt Miller the best NFL scout, though. Guy can't even make a decent power ranking.

4. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

I don't think B.O.B would have any problems drafting Winston. However, our owner will not draft him because of character issues. Simple as that.

5. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Miller sucks as an NFL analyst, but he's actually a fairly decent scout. Knows what he's talking about and does a good job breaking down his evaluations.

6. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

i think matt miller is underrated when it comes to scouting

as for mcnair not going for winston its a STRONG possiblity, this is where we will see how much input bo'b has when it comes to drafting players, i dont think mariota or hundley fit the type of qb that bo'b wants

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

lol at the thought of winston being available when the texans draft...

california dreamin'

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

6-10 might have a shot

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The reason why the Texans might not want to draft Winston would be the same reason why he'd last until the Texans pick.

10. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

i think winston is going in the top 5, after he aces the wonderlic( i know that sounds funny now, but trust me on this), i think winston is closer to 6'5, with large hands, above average mobility.

It doesnt matter where winston goes in the draft though, because he will go where he wants to go or play baseball

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

No sleaze balls please. Talent yes, character no. That will come around to bite whoever drafts him.

12. Remii

Remii Member

Winston will be drafted in the top 3... Debating rather or not the Texans should draft him is a complete waste of time. He's in the Manning and Luck category as far as QB prospects... The difference is Winston actually won big games in college.

Mariota is the quarterback the Texans may have a shot at.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Are you talking about Clowney or Winston...?

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Winston. I dont think you can compare the two.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

please tell me that we don't have to endure another offseason with the "Teddy Bridgewater-style" fanboys

PLEASE. Last offseason was HORRIBLE around here

16. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Winston is in his own stratosphere of "do not want." The dude's an absolute moron and I can't imagine anybody not related with FSU wanting a piece of him.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In what statistical category is either Carr or Bridgewater doing well? I guess you could ignore everything else and go on TD/INT ratio with Carr, but there's nothing at all to suggest Bridgewater is doing even "decent". They are 2 of the 4 worst QB's in the NFL and when Mett gets enough snaps to qualify, he'll be right next to them at the bottom. This draft class was a total and complete bust and I can't even imagine someone arguing otherwise.

Let's hope not, there's literally zero chance that the Texans take Winston even if they had the first pick in the draft, but I imagine some people will keep talking about him anyway.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

lolz. that's a self inflicted wound for you brah.

19. Summer Song Giver

Mcnair will never? Well, **** that old man right in HIS p***y!

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Just sub Clowney for said rookie QB and you have your counter argument.