1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Game] Rocksmith 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 21, 2013.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Noticed there was the old thread, but not one for the new game. It comes out at midnight (technically), I'm getting it on PC so hopefully Steam unlocks it at the same time (I won't be holding my breath). At any rate, I've been playing the original Rocksmith for a couple months now and I love it to death. I'm extremely excited for the new one; for new songs of course but, it's also supposed to improve upon the previous in almost every facet (the menus can be a pain in the ass in the old game, among a couple other things). I started from a point of knowing almost nothing about playing a guitar, and now I can play several songs all the way through. I failed time and time again attempting to learn from books, videos, or anything else up to this point (getting lessons wasn't time feasible really). I've also supplemented some of the music theory Rocksmith lacks with the free intro to guitar course on coursera.org (from Berklee College of Music). Anyone else playing Rocksmith or want to learn guitar?

By the way, I think you can still preorder from the usual suspects (Gamestop, Best Buy, Walmart, Steam, etc) and you get Cherub Rock by the Smashing Pumpkins for your trouble.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CrRTHQr9TFI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rocksmith 2014's improvements

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Nfr4UiZIe-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rocksmith is the fastest way to learn guitar (according to a study, paid for by who knows. I would agree with their findings though).

2. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I got it when it came out and enjoyed it but didn't keep up with it because I don't play on my PS3 often. I should have gotten it when it came to Steam since I'm always on the computer. So I'll probably give it a go again when it this new one comes out on Steam.
    It's cool to see that you kept up with it and your playing has improved.

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I heard the PC original Rocksmith has a lot of free independent DLC. Is that true? I bought the Xbox version for $10, but might get it for PC for its free DLC and use the same cable.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You should give it a shot again! :)

That would be news to me, but I can't say I was looking for it either. I've paid for quite a few songs on it however. That could be true.

5. Yonkers

OK. I just bought the original one and the new one. I'll start downloading the old one to eff around with until they unlock it.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Congratulations! Ubisoft needs to hire me, obviously. You can import all your songs from the original Rocksmith to 2014, though they may charge some fee (probably $10 or something).

7. Yonkers

I hope not. I bought the old game because it was a cheap way to get a lot of songs.

8. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

This game looks crazy and intimidating for me who can barely handle rock band. Has any total noob actually been able to build up some guitar skills by playing this?

9. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

I wasn't a total noob, but I was definitely newish to the guitar. I played the original a decent amount and will say that it did improve my skills, speed, awareness of frets, and just overall play. The downside for me was that it wasn't tab nor musical score so learning songs outside of the game was a different setup.. I'm not sure if the new one covers that gap.

10. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

It's setup to only show a few notes when you start playing and it adds more as you improve so it's not too tough for people that haven't played before.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

With the PC version is there a lag like with the 360 using HDMI?

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You didn't read my post did you? I could not play at ALL when I got this game 2 months ago. Like the other gentleman said, the game brings you along slowly note by note and gradually adds more difficult notes to hit/chords, etc as it notices you are getting them. It also dynamically scales back down if it notices you're missing a lot.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No, no lag at all which is why I got the PC version instead (the HDMI issues you mentioned).

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Heads up by the way, the download on Steam is live if you're purchasing that way. Weeee.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've never really tried to learn guitar, but always wanted to. I have poor hand-eye coordination, though.

I think I might ask for this (and try to find a cheap guitar) for Christmas and see what happens...

16. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Confirmed -- $10 import tool on Steam. I just bought it and the Hives - Hate to say I told you so.
    Hooray for day 1 DLC, but I have to have that song. <3 the Hives.

#17 seclusion, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  18. Yonkers

Bah, that sucks. I guess it's better than $3-5 a song (which is stupid pricing btw).

19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Is the lag worse with HDMI than Component/RCA?

20. Yonkers

OK. I remoted to my home machine and finished the download, so it'll be ready when I get home. Whee indeed. :)