1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free Community College?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Haymitch, Jan 9, 2015.

?

Thoughts on free community college?

Poll closed Jan 9, 2016.
  1. Support this plan

39 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Support a different plan for free community college

6 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Do no support any plan for free community college

17 vote(s)
    27.4%
  1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

No disagreement here.

My father, a skilled military aircraft painter who worked with top secret exotic metals for the federal government, didn't want his son to work in a profession where his hands got dirty. The irony was that I became a journalist covering lots of people with really dirty hands. (I guess your German student reference made me think of my father. I am at this moment holding a like new 62-year-old metal shoehorn he made for me when I was a boy. It's covered with some slimy slick aluminum-like paint that still repels water, dings, finger prints or anything else -- without being magnetic.)

Well, because the "greatest generation" wanted their children to be educated professionals, we still stigmatize "dirty hands" jobs. However, my plumber nephew last year made $8,400 more than his sister, a charge nurse at a major Houston hospital. Each of their dollars buys with equal value.

It shouldn't matter whether people work with their hands or their heads ... as long as put their hearts into whatever they do.

#121 thumbs, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.