1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What worries me about D'Antoni... look at the Pelicans...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 20, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

The Pelicans fired Monty Williams and brought in Alvin Gentry. Gentry coached with D'Antoni in Phoenix and is a disciple of his "7 seconds or less" philosophy. The Pelicans then hired Darren Erman to be the "defensive guru" to go along with Gentry.

The Pelicans had a HORRIBLE season. They got worse on offense AND defense.

Under Monty Williams their offensive rating was 8th in the league and their defensive rating was 22nd. Under Gentry and Erman their offensive rating went to 18th and defensive rating went to 27th. Horrible.

I'm not saying the same thing would happen with the Rockets, but man does that worry me...

2. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

You're right about the Pelicans and Gentry.

But how is the Suns systems from the Nash days any different than Golden St? I'm not a basketball technical expert, but they seem kinda similar.

3. bmd

bmd Member

I believe the Warriors do a lot more off the ball than the Suns did.

One criticism of the Suns offense was that players who weren't involved in the initial pick-and-roll action just stood around.

Warriors have way more movement.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

It's simple -- this isn't football.

You can bring in a "Defensive Coordinator," but you don't have players on your team that only play defense like in football. You can't coach/teach them defensively without taking time away from offense.

Meaning -- when a HC known for his offense takes over a team, he's not going to let the assistant coach devote 1/2 the practice or more to defensive principles. He's going to want to work on, install and perfect his offensive principles.

JVG and Thibs teams were great defensively because they spent excessive practice time on the defensive side. You don't get that with an offensive HC, no matter who you pick to be the "D-coordinator."

5. bmd

bmd Member

Good point. Last year when the Rockets were actually good defensively, I remember McHale saying during the entire training camp they worked almost exclusively on defense. They didn't hardly work on offense at all.

6. Garner

Garner Member

You can't really discuss the pelicans without bringing their injury and roster mismanagement to the forefront of conversation.

7. bmd

bmd Member

They were very injured last seasons as well. They still did much better than this year.

And the Pelicans started off the season 1-11 when they were all healthy... so that's not really an excuse. They sucked this year whether they were injured or not.

8. Garner

Garner Member

Which I would attribute to roster mismanagement.

I'm not defending the coaching here, but the pelicans injury track record and roster management over the past couple of years, they are in the bottom 10% of both categories.

They traded 2 first rounders for Jrue Holiday (who played 102/164 total games past 2 years), traded for eric gordon who has never played 65 games in a single hornet's season, acquired tyreke evans, and paid omer asik......

Its a really terribly built team, healthy or not, which could have Pop at the helm and see poor results all the same.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So the thing that worries OP about MDA is the same thing that worries everyone else about MDA? Interesting.

10. bmd

bmd Member

But roster mismanagement doesn't matter when talking about their results relative to the year before. They were an 8th seeded playoff team with that mismanaged roster, then they were one of the worst teams in the league with that same roster under Gentry.

11. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

to use a football comparison
    the same difference between run-and-shoot and the west coast offense - one is based on speed, passing and big plays (7 seconds) and the other uses a hybrid offense to create opportunity for big plays within the context of a traditional offence. Right now the Warrior take shots at the basket - that is how they are able to open up those spots on the parameter

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

one thing to remember is Gentry is a lot worse than D'Antoni, Gentry only got hired because of the Warriors success. He has had 4 winning seasons as coach and 9 Non winning seasons

13. The Stig

The Stig Member

If I recalled correctly, didn't the Pelicans have injury issues with Holiday, Ryan Anderson, Tyreke, and Anthony Davis this past season?

14. bmd

bmd Member

Same as the season before. They had virtually an identical amount of injuries to the same players. And Ryan Anderson was healthier this season whereas he was recovering from his neck/spine injury the year they made the playoffs.

15. rockets13champs

Do u know the amount of injuies they had ??

16. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

what worries me the most is that the new coach will have to spend a lot of time working on defense AND offense, so I guess there's only a small chance we will be ready to be a good team from the start.

17. rockets13champs

Jrue holiday and tyreke suck too. Dont like them on any roster tbh

18. bmd

bmd Member

Do you know how many injuries they had the year before?

19. rockets13champs

2014-2015 season was so injury plagued. The 2-6 seeds in the west were all as good as each other. This showed in 2015-2016 season when the spurs and thunder are 2 and 3 seeds. The pelicans made the playoffs as a result to the west being weaker due to the injuries to all the other teams. Also Anthony Davis was healthy last year that is all what matters to make round 1 of the playoffs. Stars get u into playoffs and wins u games. Thats why westbrook and durant beat the spurs.
    I never understand why we thought we were such a great team when we made the WCF in a weak year. I sure hell know if the thunder were the 3 seed last year we would have been bounced round 1.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Hey - there is a voice of reason. I didn't think there were any left on the board...