1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tim Duncan Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rocketsjudoka, May 13, 2016.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With the loss last night there is a lot of speculation that this might be it for the Big Fundamental. If this is it for Duncan he can leave with his head held high. One of the greatest players ever, two time MVP and five time champion who did it with both class and humility. In an age of where often showmanship was prized above the substance he played a throwback style that focused on the intelligence and on doing things right.

The only bad thing I can say about Duncan was that he never was a Rocket.

It will be nice not having him torment the Rockets anymore but the league will be poorer without him.

[​IMG]

2. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

Thank you Timmy. It's always fun when you know you're watching a legend. There may never be another quite like Duncan.

When I first fell in love with the NBA, I was a Spurs fan and a Duncan jersey was the first jersey I ever owned. (Then I went to a Rockets game)

3. i3artow i3aller

:cool:

“Here is my Tim Duncan story.

So we’re playing the Spurs and I get the ball on the post. I inside pivot and sweep to the middle for my jump hook and he blocks it. So as we are running down the court he says to me “that was a good move but you have to get more into my body so you can either draw the foul or I can’t block it”.

So I didn’t know if he was talking noise or what so just kind of looked at him confused and said ok. Then, a few plays later I did it again got more into his body and he couldn’t block it. I missed the shot and he looked at me and said much better and kept playing lol. I remember calling my boy Zee Chilton and telling him this story lol Tim Duncan is honestly one of the nicest guys in the NBA and one of the best power forwards ever. Respect”

Etan Thomas

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 2014 championship would've really been a perfect ending to his career. I thought the Spurs were finished in 2013 and can remember Duncan missing that bunny in game 7, and slapping the floor as he got back on defense, realizing he missed a gimme that could've won the championship. But, the Spurs' 2014 run was one of the best I've ever seen.

5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Greatest power forward of all-time.

An absolute machine in the post. Tremendous obsession with mastering the fundamentals of the game. The higher the stakes, the greater his performance in the clutch. BBIQ off the charts (both ends of the court).

Above all, he was a leader of men and an unbelievable teammate.

A pro's pro; mentally as tough as they come.

Very simply, a winner.

As for big men... the last of a dying breed.

He will be missed. Respect.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It might be a bit premature for this as he hasn't indicated or hinted he is retiring yet.

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Squarest dresser in NBA history.

8. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I would not be surprised if he comes back for one more season, knowing the Spurs will just acquire more young talent.

9. conquistador#11

since it's all cyclical, I hope when the big men position reemerges, that they're more like tim duncan than dew-white.
    He brought the bank shot back now it leaves with him.
    shaq vs duncan,
    yao vs duncan
    Kg vs duncan
    fun match ups.

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Tim Duncan next SA Head Coach?

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, I guess I had forgotten that Dream wore Nikes for a season.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Duncan's celebrate Halloween every weekend If you don't have candy for the kids he gets mad.

[​IMG]

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The ultimate compliment I can pay him is I absolutely hated the guy on the court because he was so good and seemingly destroyed us practically every time we played them. The best is when he sat out our games to rest.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you say that he was a gym rat?

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Greater career than Kobe? I say yes.

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I was talking with a Spurs fan about how absolutely fitting it would be that, in the midst of the 2015-16 Kobe farewell tour, Tim Duncan would decide to retire in the same season with little to no fanfare. Both fantastic players with different philosophies on the game itself and how to impact it.

Nothing but respect for the man who will go down as the greatest PF to ever play the game.

17. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Damn LA media

Kobe gets "Mamba Day"

Y no Fundamental Day??

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Duncan may just give it one more year. Pop may play him 10 minutes a night (if that) and he can still serve as a role model to the younger players. I don't think Duncan was "worn down" this season at all with the way Pop plays him. I also don't think Pop asks him to go hard at practice either.

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

she has massive fundamentals.