1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Data Recovery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CometsWin, Mar 20, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So... a couple of years ago I tried to back up a load of files to one of my external hard drives. Instead of just copying it over like I usually did, which used to take hours, I tried to sync that stupid external hard drive software and it somehow deleted all of my files. Is there a piece of software I can use to get those files back? It's about 10 gigs worth of files, mostly pictures.

2. thejav

thejav Member

Just stream ur p*rn like the rest of us..

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I used to use this way back when (like, 10 years ago). There are probably better options out there these days.

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

I'm going to assume you haven't been using that HD since then?

If so, a lot of it should be recoverable. When files are erased, a pointer to that file is the only thing deleted. But your hard drive starts using that "empty" space and over writes the old data, so the more you use the hard drive after the fact, the less data you will be able to recover. If you've been used the hard drive at all in any meaningful way since they were all deleted, then no you won't be able to recover anything.

1 person likes this.
  4. CometsWin

They're family pictures of someone who recently passed away... thanks.

I'll try anything, thanks!

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Maybe just take it to a computer shop.

6. CometsWin

This worked! It's great to have these pictures back. Thank you so much.

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad to be able to help.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm, you might have a shot if the drive wasn't accessed much after deletion etc... I mean a lot better odds, like if you delete the files and then parts of drive where files were aren't overwritten makes it a lot easier.

Anyway here's article with some free options: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/software/how-recover-deleted-files-free-3365461/

I've had success with a program but I can't remember name atm... Anyway I'm sure this application in article or something like it will work. There's lifehacker.com article I saw too that details some free options. A quick search should show it.

Good luck man! Hopefully you can recover those pics, if you have any other questions let us know :) I think some of these free options definitely work though, I one time recovered family pictures my wife thought we lost, so I kinda know what you're going through

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Lol, disregard... I saw this earlier and meant to post way earlier... I'm glad you were able to get them back :)