1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The refs handed a game to the Lakers ...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by qrui, Feb 26, 2004.

1. qrui

qrui Member

well, almost. Granted if Kobe didn't hit the trey they still couldn't have won. Did anyone watch last night's game between the Lakers and the Nuggets?

With 20+ sec on game clock the Nuggets inbound the ball with 2 sec before clock violation and they clearly hit the rim before time ran out and Carmelo (sp?) had the rebound. You thought it'd be over for the Laker by then, they trailed by 2 points. Oh, no. The refs called clock violation! and handed the ball to the Lakers!

I guess Shaq didn't have any complains about the refs this time. What a shame! When officials are directly "guiding" the game results there is much of a game anymore.:(

2. plee

plee Member

Granted that was a pivotal play (shows the need for replay on
    game ending issues, but that's a different topic and thread),
    but how does A.Miller let Luke Walton steal the ball from him!!!

I think the defense, maybe the coaching, but never let them
    fire 3's (how many times have we seen this happen to the
    rockets) let them take the 2's...

3. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Water is wet.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

From the guy who b*tches about the refs everytime VC misses?

:p

5. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

*sigh*

I'm glad I went ot the CU - OU game last night instead of watching this. At least at the CU - OU game, I had numerous heart attacks from bad calls, but my team won.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't know what you're complaining about. We had been in a virtual tie with Denver a little while ago. Then they went on a 4-game losing streak and we're not 2 games up on them. For those people afraid of a resurgent Portland team, Denver losses are paramount. Incidentally, Memphis also finally lost last night, so we're only a game behind them for 6th place.

7. qrui

qrui Member

that's deep :D

8. qrui

qrui Member

i'm just trying to say that the refs are, more often than should, directly influencing the game results. that's bad on so many levels. the rockets are affected as well, like so many of us have seen and vented at the game and action forum.

9. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

That's Macbeth's point - that the refs screwing up a game for *anyone* is not exactly news.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet
    Supporting Member

I think Kareem Rush hit the three, not Kobe.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Good to see the refs already in postseason form.

Yeah it was Kareem Rush, Kobe's already done enough damage in Colorado.

12. qrui

qrui Member

my bad it was krush.:D

13. sup123

sup123 Member

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Denver losing is a good thing. What calls? ;)

15. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

LOL, read this:
    NBA Statement

NBA Statement Regarding Officiating Error

NEW YORK, Feb. 26 ¨C- The following statement was issued by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President, Basketball Operations, in regard to an officiating error during the Los Angeles Lakers-Denver Nuggets game on Feb. 25 at the Pepsi Center:
    "In last night¡¯s Lakers-Nuggets game, official Michael Henderson stopped play by blowing his whistle to signal a 24-second shot clock violation with 27.4 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. That call was incorrect because the ball, in fact, hit the rim. Once play was stopped, the game officials made the correct ruling by resuming play with a jump ball at midcourt. This was an unfortunate call at a highly critical point in the game, and we very much regret the error."

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Wow, if the Nuggets end up missing the playoffs by one game, the league office is never gonna hear the end of it.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

If the Nuggets do not make the playoffs, they can blame themselves. The calls will eventually even out.

18. Asian Sensation

I'm not complaining, a Nugget loss might as well be a Rocket win. It was the Nuggets who decided to collapse on Luke Walton out of all people coming down the lane when he could've at best tied the game with a 2 instead they left Rush wide open for 3.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The ref got suspended 3 games and called to a meeting with the big-wigs. This is pretty unprecedented that we hear about the punishment leveled against a ref. I have to think that he must have some previous performance issues or we wouldn't be hearing about his punishment.

20. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

What else is new? The Lakers get all the calls. Kobe doesn't even get touched sometimes and gets a call.