1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Travel Advice] Anyone been to Cuba?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Dec 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Anyone been to Cuba? I've always wanted to go. Something I'll keep my eye on, as eventually, Americans may be able to.

Any tips on resorts, beaches, places to see, things to do, etc.?

How are the people? I've heard they're pretty nice.

Any stories from visits, etc? Would love to hear them.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm banned from going.

1 person likes this.
  3. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I can't give you any specific advice, because I have never been myself, but I do know that there are some fantastic four and five-star all-inclusive resorts in Cuba. I knew a Canadian family that loved to vacation there and always raved about the lavish resorts.

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Yasil Puig faints

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Yasiel

6. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I went many years back when my employment-related-visit was automatically exempt by Foreign Assets Control. I didn't have too much time to sight-see given my work, however I had the general impression the country was not like visiting England where specific museums, dining, shopping, monuments, and so on are a must see.

Just generally strolling through Havana was enough for us. You'll get a moderate sense of vertigo as you're there since it feels like a lost colonial world which fell out of time. Everything will seem like the 1950s in a good and bad way. For instance, the architecture is superb yet the buildings are poorly maintained (hot water will run out, A/C broken). Your hotel may look regal from afar, but your 'deluxe room' will be plain and look like a film noir set. I distinctly remember how few modern amenities there were or what the local owned i.e. no internet, cash-only at most places, no mobile phones, no shampoos or condoms, no DVD players, few TVs, etc. It was really hard getting around via taxis. You just walk as much as possible.

I especially liked the Malecon, Old Square, Capitol building, Revolutionary Museum, and Cabana Fort. Hotel Nacional was where we stayed. It was so- so yet the resturant/bar downstairs was great. Night-life overall was incredible; people drink and dance and sing and flirt on roof-top bars overlooking the sea late into the night. Cuban Spanish is very hard to understand though versus other dialects. As for resorts, Vinales Valley is the only place of note outside Havana which I recall. It was incredibly beautiful, tropical, and verdant. We went horseback riding, and stopped at a local cafe for some of the finest coffee and cigars I've ever consumed (very cheap too). People generally were friendly unless they were university students.

Although I admired Cuba for its time-capsule quality, it gets old after the third day. I suggest you visit as soon as possible if you want to see the old Cuba before it changes. I hardly discussed politics with the locals except a few doctors and people in academia, but they told us over half the Cubans are ready to join the modern world. They want McDonalds, they want BMWs, they want iPhones, etc.

7. mig0s

mig0s Member

Been there 3 times. Go to Varadero and wherever you go be sure its a 4 or 5 star hotel. Anything less is not worth it. Book through a canadian travel agency like www.selloffvacations.com, Redtag.ca or Sunwing. Departure from toronto or montreal is usually the cheapest. Take advantage of the weak canadian dollar at the moment. A 7 days all inclusive for a 5 star resort shoukd cost less than $1200.

When you get there, be sure to take a group tour to havana and go see tropicana

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

they want cars made after 1960.

9. mig0s

mig0s Member

A Cuban 5 star resort is like a 3.5 star resort in Mexico. Nothing fancy there.

Btw op i forgot to mention. Because of the embargo, the food pretty much taste the same everywhere. On resorts they get fresh food on thursdays i think. Drink bottled water and try to not take ice in your drinks.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l-alC2kA_8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Mr. Clutch

Can you import some Cubans?

I mean workers not cigars.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Lots of cheap and attractive prostitutes. Went when I was maybe 20 years old pre-911, it really wasn't hard to get into. A beautiful place but the sanctions were obvious.

13. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

How is the mar1juana? Would really like a blend of mar1juana and Cuban tobacco handrolled like they do the cigars.

14. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Are you going on a special visa or sneaking in through Mexico? Someone who is not me went. The country is safe, especially within Havana. Tourism is their golden goose so the police watch tourists pretty closely.
    That being said, everyone is relatively poor so use common sense. Also be prepared to bargain like crazy cuz everyone from street merchants to taxis will try to rip you off. I recommend doing home stays as opposed to staying in hotels. Hotels are much more expensive and marginally better. Also, change your money to Euro or Canadian dollars before going. I'm not sure if this is still in effect but they used to have a 20% penalty for exchanging USD to Cuban dollars in retaliation of sanctions that G.W. Bush put on them.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

It's a trap to get all of the american cuban baseball players in country, and then bam, lock em up.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I go there every weekend. I run errands in my submarine from florida. Great business.

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I went back in 2012. Fascinating place. Here are a few photos I took while there.

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Pretty amazing photos.

Thanks for sharing.

19. Mr. Clutch

Almost like it's frozen in time.