1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PSA to fellow Austinites

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Dec 18, 2014.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Starting January 1st you will no longer be able to drive while operating/holding a handheld device of any sort. Your device MUST be mounted/not in your hand while the car is in motion and you may only operate your device when your vehicle is stopped.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskt...ce-crashes-effects-are-slight-crash-increases

And here's a link to a study that shows that 3 out of the 4 states that have implemented this law have shown an INCREASE in crashes.

I, for one, am going to enjoy dying in a head on collision because someone decided to circumvent the law and will instead just look straight down into their laps, where their phones are, while driving.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Evacuate?

It's time.

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

You cannot teach people to be conscious drivers or force good behavior by banning cell phone use. People act inside of their car as they act everywhere else. Reckless people are reckless and cause wrecks.

4. RedRedemption

Austin municipal lawmakers will learn this, once the fatalities and crashes pile up.
    All this does is force me to spend money buying a mounting bracket for my phone...

#4 RedRedemption, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I doubt it helps, but this is a good experiment to try on a local basis.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Maybe lawmakers should try being more strict in handing out drivers licenses if they want to make the roads safer.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't have a problem with this ordinance, but shouldn't it encompass additional distracting things? I would have to guess that eating in your car while driving is just as distracting as using a phone and people do that all the time.

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

We need to remove the human element from behind the steering wheel, or strictly give out licenses only to the most qualified and mature drivers. Also, since people will keep texting secretly in their lap, we need to what Perth, Australia is doing.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...154892109?nk=79750fc087c2f894d4d7c98de934e9d8

Video link (where bike cop catches drivers red-handed texting):
    http://www.perthnow.com.au/video/id...A-drivers-caught-by-new-unmarked-police-bikes

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. RedRedemption

Is it really that common? I've yet to see anyone eating while driving.
    Maybe people taking a fry or two out of a to-go bag of fast food, but full on eating while driving? Never seen that.

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I have seen eating in the car plenty. Have also seen someone reading a book.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

On long trips, I'll eat a burger or sandwich while driving.

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

The bigger crime would be some of these chicks showing up in public. Let them wear makeup! :p

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Bad drivers will bad drive.

Also, I like how they're encouraging MOUNTING the phones, like looking over to the mount will make it better even if they have both hands on the wheel... LOLs.

NO. :p

15. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Yep. And putting on lipstick. And brushing their teeth.

Some people just get easily distracted and/or bored while behind the wheel. I'm not against this handheld device ordinance, but I don't see it changing much.

My car has built-in smartphone integration so this ordinance means little to me.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Really??? I see it daily and do it myself sometimes.

17. RedRedemption

Huh.
    I didn't realize it was this common.
    My commute is different from the rest of you guys's.
    I commute to college, I guess people commuting to/from work are more prone to eating in their cars?

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

GPS's have been mounted for years, and they haven't caused any problems. It's not like you're supposed to be texting with the phone on the mount. It's meant for GPS, voice-activated dialing, Bluetooth, etc.

19. RedRedemption

I use google maps.
    Its no more dangerous to have the GPS in my hand, phone screen in front of your eyes so that you can use your peripheral vision to maintain (limited) spatial awareness.

If I have to look over to the mount to see my GPS directions then I am taking my eyes off the road almost entirely.

Anyways this just seems like a massive cash grab for municipal government.
    They'll make a killing off of all those ACL/SXSW/FunFunFunFest tourists.

#19 RedRedemption, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: I think you may have missed the point about the distractions: GPS's don't receive texts or phone calls or app notifications. (or do they? :p)