1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcasts] Serial: Season 1

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DarkHorse, Nov 3, 2014.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Official Website: http://serialpodcast.org/

Is anyone else listening to this show? If you haven't heard of it, it's a really good, real life crime drama unfolding in Podcast form every week from the same people who produce "This American Life." It's a very NPR kind of format and tone, so it's all very professional and well executed.

The basic premise of the show is that they take a particular topic and investigate it and/or discuss it very deeply over a series of episodes. This is the first one they've done, and they claim they're not all going to be crime related cases, but the first season basically focuses on a murder conviction from 1999. They go into great detail to try and tease out what actually happened on that day, what the case was, and try to let the audience draw their own conclusions.

The guy convicted is still in prison, and he definitely will not be released no matter what they do or don't uncover, but trying to exonerate him really isn't what the story is about. Just wanted to share the love for those of you who haven't heard about this.

Highly recommend it!

Some buzz about the show if you wanna read about it:
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisonwillmore/serial-is-the-years-best-new-crime-drama-and-its-not-on-tv

Blog you should be reading if you listen to the show, written by close friend of the accused:
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/splitt...er-lies-the-anatomy-of-a-wrongful-conviction/

Subreddit full of possible spoilers and rampant speculation:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/serialpodcast

#1 DarkHorse, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I completely agree, can not recommend this enough!

3. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Definitely a great podcast. Even if you aren't into podcasts this might be a good place to start. The storytelling is really good.

Another great podcast is http://hearstartup.com/ It's from one of the Planet Money reporters and is about him starting up his own company.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I first started listening to sports podcasts, but damn these historical ones are so engrossing. I don't commute enough to cover all that I want to listen to and now I've got podcasts as workout music. I'm trying to go through all the Hardcore Histories but I'll give the first of Serial a shot also. Hopefully it's not a 3-4 hour cast.

5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

It's a 12 episode series that is about an hour long each. It's definitely worth it.

6. DarkHorse

New episode out today. It felt too short!

Spoilers and discussion below:

I have to admit, I was leaning towards feeling like he totally did it in the week leading up to last weeks episode, and especially after last weeks episode, I was totally convinced he did it and/or was at least involved. (also Jay obviously)

But after that episode I actually went and read all of the blog posts from Rabia, his friend, and she weakened my resolve and made me start to believe again.

After this week, I've come all the way around and now basically believe he's innocent. What a crazy show!

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

My fellow NPRers!

Anyone listen to snap judgement? I love that podcast.

8. VanityHalfBlack

Thanks clutchfans for the recommendation. Always looking for some fresh content as I am already subscribed to about 70 podcast shows daily weekly.. Oh and while we're at it, please support your local podcasters and give this one a chance at subscribing, thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/PopAndSchlockOnline

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm only through three episodes.

I understand why it's not about trying to exonerate someone. It's about telling a story....

... BUT, should't there at least be a goal or some intention of clarifying what probably did/did not happen? I mean it is investigative journalism, right? And unlike your typical dateline 1 or 2 hour deal, this is 12 hours, a year of investigations, etc. The goal has to be more than just tell an interesting story, leave it at "who knows, we leave with the same lack of knowledge as we started"...

10. DarkHorse

Well I think they'd definitely like to come to some more solid conclusions, certainly than they way the case ended up at trial. As was discussed in the most recent episode, as far as these kinds of trials go, the evidence is super thin.

The holy grail would be if they are/were somehow able to pretty much definitively prove that he either did or didn't do it, and I'm sure that's what they're going for. But, to be clear, even if they think they can "prove" he didn't do it, they're quick to point out that legal proceedings for these kinds of cases can be very tedious, and sometimes they convicted never go free, and even if they do it takes some time.

They mentioned in today's episode that, while technically all they have to do is to prove that he didn't do it, in practice, they actually need to also determine who DID to get any traction behind getting him released. Which, if he actually didn't do it, is extremely unfortunate obviously.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Which I guess is why they are focusing on the case.

I want murderers locked up as much as everyone. But how can you convict anyone, on anything, when there's barely any evidence and it's paper thin? Much less murder?

12. DarkHorse

New one out today. I thought today's was a little disappointing. Kind of felt like she's just spinning her wheels.

Definitely wanted a bigger payoff much the much anticipated "Jay" episode.

13. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

This is a great podcast! If your not listening, I would recommend you check it out...

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think, in a way, it was setting listeners up for a "disappointing" finale. They never promised they were going to solve the crime and the pace at which the show is being produced means the Koenig herself may recognize wheel spinning is setting in. She's immersed herself in a story that has 15 years of rust and lies surrounding it.

That said, this week's episode made me more inclined to believe Jay. We've been wrestling with the "Why would Jay do this" question and the idea that Stephanie was threatened is compelling. It's also telling that she was the only person at his trial, even though his testimony was crucial in Adnan (her good friend's) imprisonment. He may be a compulsive liar, but Koenig notes that the backbone of his story didn't change and his involvement was never in doubt (knew where the car was).

If anything, this episode shows how law enforcement is often an inexact science. Even though it was obvious that Jay's story changed over time, he was the witness who allowed the prosecution to present its best case, not the truth. Pair that with statistics on relationship-to-victim murders, the cell phone logs (particularly Nisha, who was called by Adnan's new phone on the day of the murder and was unknown to Jay) and the memory from Cathy about Adnan's behavior that night (in particular when called by police) and I feel like Adnan's is guiltier every week. Even the recalling of Jay's friend that claimed Adnan killed Hae in the library parking lot makes more sense than Best Buy and fills in the Asia letters gap.

But, there are so many details that get so muddy that I could be persuaded otherwise. Jay's testimony is dicey and his history as a liar is known. But, Adnan's total inability to recall anything from that day (a day in which he was called by police about his missing girlfriend) and the Nisha call make me believe Adnan is guilty.

One Reddit user made an interesting comment early on that seems eerily correct every week: what we're listening to is extended jail break attempt by Adnan (when he speaks).

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

For some reason I only thought there was 6 episodes, and I burned through them all today. Does anyone know how many total episodes there will be before we find out out whodunnit? I don't know what I'm expecting, but I know she's withholding stuff and spinning certain aspects for a big reveal at the end, like this last one talking about the nysha call and the cell phone tower testimony.

16. DarkHorse

12 episodes is what I've heard.

And honestly, I'm not sure they're actually going to know definitively at the end who actually did it.

Since this is a real case, with so much time behind us, that's a very real possibility.

17. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I'm hoping they are saving something for the end. Would be a disappointment if it ended on an episode like the last one...

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Koening said in an interview the episodes aren't pre-recorded and she's doing pretty much doing them as she goes along. If their is a big reveal, she hasn't found it out yet.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

[youtube]tB7AcboDMfs[/youtube]

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Wow. Just listened to the first episode. I can tell this is going to be good!