1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Schaffer and Late Show Band Own some band called The Orwells

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cardpire, Jan 16, 2014.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I loved the Strokes - Is this It

Sound reminds me of it. I'm indifferent to the rest of the thread though.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Letterman performance of the year:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Ee4bfu_t3c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Future Islands are awesome. They were the kings of this past SXSW.

4. Mr. Clutch

Been listening to their new album every day. Would love to see them live.

5. what

what Member

I always wondered what happened to Jim Carey.

6. Mr. Clutch

He looks like what Burt Reynold's goofy brother would look like.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

They actually played at Rudyards back in 2012. I actually know Sam Herring and Will Cashion from when I used to live in Baltimore. That is where they reside now, although originally from NC. Really nice down to earth folks. They put in a lot of effort through these years so everyone in the industry was really happy they made it big now. Now they are playing venues of 1-2K and all the major festival circuit.

#107 Mr. Brightside, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  8. Summer Song Giver

All i hear is that old church song... I've got the joy joy joy down in my heart... where?

9. Mr. Clutch

Interesting. Never heard of them until I saw their latest album on a bunch of top lists for 2014.

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Sure it did. It gave them publicity to start with. They were the "buzz" in alt rock music for a little while because of letterman.

Sold out? I don't think so, although, we may have differing views of 'selling out'. There have been so many bands blow up in the indie scene in the past few years due to commercials and google searches for them. I think they just hit the jackpot in the mainstream as well as gratifying their fans in the indie scene that have been following them.

11. donkeypunch

Now this is a performance.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qaMB9rEEcSI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

If yall were putting together a mixtape with bands like The Nationals and Future Islands what other bands/songs would yall include?

13. Buck Turgidson

Then I have no idea why you are complaining about Letterman.

14. donkeypunch

Because in an attempt to mock a performance of some 'punk kids' that he/his staff booked for his own show for what I assume as what he thought was outlandish, it backfired and gave them more publicity because of it. Now they're on an apple commercial with people searching out of them even more than before.

15. donkeypunch

band of horses

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

WTF are you talking about? All Letterman did was enjoy the hell out of their performance and ask them to play it again. Also, he brought them back a couple of months later and asked them for an encore yet again. If anything, Letterman has been one of their biggest and most important supporters.

As for the Orwells, their only sin was being completely naive of what was going on and probably never watching Letterman in their young lives. They thought they were being asked to do it again for the sake of having another take to use to edit a better performance when really it was a very rock n' roll moment for Letterman to break format and ask for them to play an encore. They clearly had a better idea when they came back.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Elvis Costello and the Doors were both banned from major shows for misbehaving. Keith Moon put explosives in his kick drum without telling anyone and set them off on live TV. Sly Stone didn't even bother to show up once when booked on Dick Cavett.

I would have loved to see what would have happened if Letterman had been around in '78 and booked the Sex Pistols or the Dead Boys.

I'm sure Paul Shaffer is a fine musician, but he is as 'rock and roll' as a bottle of Geratol, or Phil Spector's hair-do.

#117 Ottomaton, Dec 21, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  18. Buck Turgidson

Are you their cousin's boyfriend's sister's neighbor's babysitter's best friend ever?

19. donkeypunch

I don't understand why paul and the band would mimic their song after they played it? It definitely didn't seem like a form of flattery. It seemed to me as an attempt to say hey you guys are a semi or not even talented band cause we can pick up the notes just listening to y'all for 3 minutes.

Sure, dude, all of the above. Definitely not a fan of this band. I just don't believe in bringing in a band and then mocking them for performing a show on your set in which you booked them to.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Indie bands have been used in commercials for years.