1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What type of money/contract will we offer Chuck Hayes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets Pride, May 26, 2011.

1. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

i know he loves Houston.

2. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I really don't know much about contracts... whats your guess?

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My guess is the offer will be a long contract and it will be heavily incentive-based, with a base salary of 3-3.5 million per year. I suppose it depends on what the new CBA will look like.

I think, in the end, he'll remain a Rocket for a long time.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

sign and trade for a pick and TE.

5. tested911

tested911 Member

After seeing how much of a business the NBA is I think he would leave for the money.. He's not a tier 1,2,3 star so he has to maximize his earnings as much as possible for his family...

6. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Depends on CBA. If we go by this CBA then 5 yrs 20 mil

7. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

I think our offer will be around 20 million for 4 years, but I don't know if that will get it done. Chuck's performance isn't a secret around the league anymore, and I'm sure some dumb GM will throw the full MLE at him.

Hopefully, he'll give the Rox a hometown discount...

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think $4-5 million per is fair for him, but I also fear that someone will throw the full MLE at him. And I would be inclined to match that if I were Morey.

If you think about it, he is a little like the Shane Battier of big men. Doesn't really stand out all that much, but gets the job done defensively and executes the offense. And Battier was making around $7 million ... couple that with the fact that big men are premium (even though Chuck is only 6'6), he could easily get that much.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ba...-s-goofball-contract-extension?urn=nba-288906

Nick Collison's contract extension, signed in November 2010, essentially pays him $17.5 million for the next 4 years. (Because they had cap space this year, they put $6.5 mil of the $17.5 mil on this year's payroll as a bonus, see link for explanation).

So, I am guessing something similar with Chuck Hayes: about $4 mil a year sounds like the going-rate for the tough defensive role player.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I disagree with most here. I think he will eventually get signed for much lower than 4-5 million a year. Good player who has improved on the offensive end, but is fatally flawed. 4 years 11 Million seems good to me. Chuck should be our back up PF.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

If other GMs are anything like they're respective team's fans, then we don't have to worry about losing him. Everyone non-rocket fan I talk to is always like "Chuck-who? You mean the little guy? He sucks."

12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

If they have a hard cap of $45 million, then this would severely overpaying for Hayes. He's one of my favorite players, but with the drastic salary cuts that might be coming up, he is going to have to take less money.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

So much depends on the new CBA. There is literally no basis on which the Rockets can determine what they're willing to offer Chuck until the new CBA is in place.

I think you could see Morey offer Chuck more years in exchange for a smaller annual salary. Also, they may try to structure it so that his salary goes DOWN in 2012-13 (to accommodate a major free agent push) and then back up after that. The Hawks did something similar with Marvin Williams's contract.

The team loves Chuck. I do, too. But if his contract demands would be prohibitive of the team being able to make significant additions in 2012, the Rockets may just have to let him walk.

14. ashishduh

Name one fatal flaw in Chuck Hayes game.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He's only 6'6" so when true bigs are playing for something or just got their game on, Chuck really can't do anything about it. It happens many times yet we turn a blind eye.

16. arubato

arubato Member

Why would some team trade a pick for him when they can just sign him directly?

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

With no Adelman, a babysitter coach, and a determination to trade away all our chips for a superstar, I don't see him inclined to return. At least I wouldn't be. A contender with a little space on the books will pick him up.

18. ashishduh

You mean like how Ibaka and Perkins, the bad defenders that they are, can't stop Dirk? Or do you mean how Noah and Boozer can't stop fierce big men like Bosh, allowing him to put up 30+?

1 person likes this.
  19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

By the way Morey sounded in an interview not to long ago, I think he's going to let him walk.

I also think he's going to be getting better offers than anything the Rockets will be willing to give him.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I know the interview to which you are referring.

Morey was referring to Shane Battier, in defense of him trading Battier away rather than to see him walk in free agency anyway.