1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Memphis do this...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jun 25, 2002.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Let's say we do NOT get all the proper clearances for Yao. I know that many of you would still support drafting him. However, what if Memphis (maybe some of you capologists...Gater, Aelliot, Nike...could tell me if this is allowed) agreed to let us keep our 1st rounder next year as long as we swapped the 1 and 4 this year? (essentially trading 1 first rounder for 2 first rounders)

We would pretty much guarantee that we could land Butler, Wilcox, Gooden etc and still have our 1st rounder next season.

I just think it would be a HUGE mistake to draft Yao (as much as I want to see him in a rox uni next year) if we don't have all the necessary clearances. Once we draft him, China/CBA will have our balls in a sling if we haven't ironed everything out.

Thoughts?

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

That's a good idea theoretically, but Rudy can't afford to screw this draft up. Next year's crop doesn't look nearly as talented as this one.

As far as China goes, they need Ming to succeed in the worst way. Zhi Zhi has been an embarassment, and they want Ming in Houston. They need Ming to play well in the NBA.

3. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes you could do that. No we won't do that. They'll draft Yao.

If the Rockets really believe that Yao is a franchise center then they'll take him. Those guys just don't come along that often.

Remember David Robinson? Played against lesser competition in college, was labeled as a soft player. The Spurs drafted him, knowing that they'd have to wait 2 years for him. If you get a shot at a franchise center, you take it.

That being said, I expect Yao to be in the NBA next year. It's in China's best interest for him to play here. They've got an opportunity to advance their basketball program, make money and create some great publicity. They can't afford to risk Yao getting hurt or them ticking off the NBA. They need this as much or more than Houston does.

Check out David Stern's quote and tell me if he's trying to deliver a message:

<i>"We know what they obviously would like," Stern said. "I've had occasion to meet with the general manager of the Shanghai Sharks, and my question was, `Can you spell Arvydas Sabonis?' "
    </i>

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1386508

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Hell Son,

Houston was built by people who take huge risks all the time (a ship channel to a swampy town 50 miles inland?); people who have put up there entire fortunes to drill a wildcat well in some dry chalk out in West Texas.

We will take the shot, agreement or no. If we hit, we will all wear big white Stetsons and drive Cadillacs. If we miss we will go back to work till we can try again.

Yeehaw!
    GP

#4 Dubious, Jun 25, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2002
  5. GranvilleWaders

Never Underestimate the heart of a Chinaman!!

6. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Yup, especially this one!

-G'day-

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What competition did GARNETT, MCGRADY and KOBE PLAY AGAINST AGAIN?
    HIGH SCHOOLERS?

What about Kwame Brown?

Ming will be better then Kwame Brown

Rocket RIver

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That'd be a stupid move on our part even if we didn't think Ming would ever don the pajamas. We could at least trade down to Golden State and get another player in the process instead of banking on the lottery again next year.