1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buddy Hield

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by don grahamleone, Jan 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This guy seems worth paying attention to. He can get to the bucket when 5 guys are inside the 3 point line. He's got skills every NBA team could use offensively. He's a 4 year player, so he might be NBA ready before younger players.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8uK4EwZfZ1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

There is a remarkable workout video of him hitting like 30 consecutive three pointers off the pass. He has a heck of a stroke.

3. Progs

Progs Member

This is the type of guy you need to compete against the dubs brothers, aka " splash brothers ".
    He is doing what a talent 4 year senior should be doing, DOMINATE on the college level against great competition. 53% shooting from the field & the 3 point line. He is also a good enough slasher when need to be. 6'5 in shoes and a 6'8.5 wingspan with an NBA type build already. He still has upside because he started playing basketball at 14. He could get a little better by tightening a bit his handles and passing the ball a bit better also by setting up his teammates for an assist.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yes! Morey needs to do whatever to get this guy.

5. Progs

Progs Member

I wish Morey could a pick somewhere around 10-12 where Buddy Yield or Demetrius Jackson may be available.

6. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

ESPN Insider article on Buddy Hield.

7. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

^Goes to show how stupid ESPN is, Ford says Eric Gordon is better than Wes Matthews, wtf??

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Eric Gordon is better than Wes Matthews. At least in my opinion. Especially offensively. In fact, I would consider Gordon a full tier above Matthews on that end. A career .382 from the 3 pt line is not quite Matthews' .389 but it's close and he can handle more volume. Gordon creates and Matthews defends so it depends on what you need for your team, but Gordon is the better player for most teams around the league that need scorers. However, if you need a player to tip the scales for your almost championship caliber team, Matthews is that type of player for his 3 and D.

Is that what you're getting at? Matthews is better because of needing defense?

Back to Hield though, I hope his defense is effective on the NBA level. That seems like the part of his game that will be tested.

9. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Yeah I meant as a two way player; Gordon does, indeed, have better creating skills. That game at the end of the 2011-12 collapse is still etched in my memory lol. They're both great shooters, Gordon being much improved as of late, so that category is a bit of a wash.

10. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This guy is ridiculous. :eek:

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Just crazy.

12. Zackery

Zackery Member

OMG this kid is unreal. Whata game...

13. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I wouldn't pick Ben Simmons number one, He's too passive. Any team that drafts him wanting him to be anything more than a 2nd or 3rd option is going to very very upset.

He just doesn't have that it factor. Every time I watch him play I want him to take over and he just doesn't, You can't teach that clutch I want it attitude and Simmons does not have it.

Buddy has it. Not saying he's number one pick worthy but he's a guy I would love on my team. If he goes to a team with a superstar already in place he's going to shine cause the guy can get buckets like klay thompson.

If I'm picking one im taking that kid over at duke. Hes the real deal and wants the ball to score.

I'm not impressed with Simmons he's all hype and won't translate well to the NBA.

We've seen guys like home before (josh smith, Lamar odom) he's know lebron James ppl need to stop the comparison there Gonna kills the kids career before it starts because he won't live up to even half that expectation.

14. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

So is there any way we can draft this guy?

15. windwave

windwave Member

Ben Simmons too passive... it was only 1 game and he's still a freshman. He leads LSU in all catergory, pts assists rebound steal block, he's basically the entire LSU team. He's taking an average 12fg per game, Shaq in his freshman year took 9.8 fg per game, Harden took 10.9 in his freshman year and he took 12.9 fg per game in his 2nd years in college where won pac-12 POY award. In his only 2 NCAA tourney games, he was 1-8 and 2-10 for 9 pts and 10 pts and guess what Harden was the top 2 players in the NBA last year.
    I agree he's no Lebron but his skillset will translate well in the NBA, high bb iq, great passing. There are areas he'll have to work on eg his jumpshot but he's definitely the top pick in this year draft.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

What I would say is that while Simmons doesn't blow me away, It's hard to walk away from the fact that he is only a freshman and within 1/4 of a season everyone considered him the best player in college basketball. That just doesn't happen. Even today.

Buddy Hiel has been impressive, and I like him the most, but traditionally shooting guards fade in the NBA for some reason. They just never translate. Often end up soft. So u have to be careful about who he really is at that size.

17. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Hield was beyond impressive against LSU last weekend. He pretty much willed Oklahoma to a win even though they didn't play well for 2/3 of the game. Simmons is a fantastic athlethe but he tends to disappear in games at times. He took 7 shots against Oklahoma he is going to have to demand the ball be in his hands to really become that star every wants him to be.

18. wfactor

wfactor Member

I think you guys are failing to realize that Ben Simmons is 19 years old.

7 shots isn't ridiculous when you're not out there just to score points

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Quick someone send Mr. Hield video of James Harden, so he can understand how it is done.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

These are the same experts comparing Curry to players Mahmoud Abdul Rauf.

Buddy Hield can shoot the damn ball. He reminds me of Ray Allen.