1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Documentary Cinema] Terrence Malick's 'Voyage of Time'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Jun 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

So pretty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YVyWObJY9FQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. likestohypeguy

Brad Pitt? Even as a fan, Strange choice. Still really want to see this.

3. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

ikr, isn't Morgan Freeman the go to voice for doc narrations. Maybe James Earl Jones. Someone with a deep and soothing voice.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Edit. For some reason was thinking Keanu reeves

#4 heypartner, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

depends on the subject... David Attenborough is go to for animal documentaries, although he's like 152 yrs old.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree. I found it really distracting.

I guess the two connected pretty strongly in that last albatross of a movie Malick put out, with the dinosaurs, the afterlife, and Brad Pitt being a dick to his kids.

7. Buck Turgidson

Holy **** that movie was insufferably bad, and I tend to really like his movies. An old family friend of mine was an extra (he was one of the grayhaired lawyers sitting next to Pitt in the brief courtroom scene) so I watched until I saw him and never finished the movie.

He's a visually amazing director so I'm sure I'll check this out. I may be the only person on earth who thought Thin Red Line was a better movie than Saving Private Ryan.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm blown away by just the trailer and looking forward to seeing this in IMAX.

I'll admit I'm a Malick fan and loved both Thin Red Line and Tree of Life. Things like plot are really secondary to Malick's movies and they are meditations on the nature of life. Last night at a friends Bday the subject of Phenomenology came up, yes I'm a nerd, and Malick's movies are really phenomenolgical. The visual experience is meant to create higher level of thinking.

9. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I'll admit this looks amazing, but the cheapskate in me doesn't wanna pay a full price IMAX ticket for only a 40-minute feature.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Makes sense. I thought The New World accomplished that better than anything I've ever seen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lFkyAD9gS6g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note that scene also tells a story, very effectively though. At his best he accomplishes so many things at once. I so love this movie.

Like Buck though, I couldn't finish Tree of Life, but maybe I just didn't have my woo woo engaged. The problem was he seemed to want to root it in characters, but they were kind of terrible and the scenes with them failed, in general, on the traditional merits of scenes with human beings.

11. Buck Turgidson

Every character in that movie was unlikable and difficult to listen to.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Images reminded me of Prometheus. Right down to the octopus. Think it a difficult subject to do in 40 minutes. But given it's probably limited to images we can only imagine and voice over, that will likely work out just fine. Though I will probably walk out wanting more than I'm given. Certainly on my list to see.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like most anything Pitt does, and I thought Tree of Life was a fantastic film, though it is not for everyone. Reminded me so much of my Mother and Father, my upbringing.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Keith David has a nice voice for these things
    Dennis Haysbert as well

Rocket River