1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

if you were the coach..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsballin, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

If I were coach you better bring that E and C word on the defensive end.

Effort and Communication

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clap Clap.

3. malakas

malakas Member

If I were the coach I would get fired within a week for making Harden hating me after having 3hours long only defensive practices.
    All the better, sit and get paid.

4. onreego

onreego Member

I'm tempted to start a thread and poll for this, but how many people on here agree with this??

5. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I would have Harden coming off the bench with the second unit. That way he can run "ISO" plays all day long as body movement isn't his forte. The first unit can get into a rhythm with ball movement, body movement, and focus more on defense as a team. It seems this team tries much harder on defense when Harden is on the bench.

This approach probably wouldn't sit well with Harden, but I think it would be best for the team. It might push him to give more effort and "man up" to guard his guy 1 on 1 instead of having to switch on defense because he can't stay with him. If/when this happens on a consistent basis, then he goes back into the starting lineup.

If his defense doesn't improve and he continues to be a liability on that end, then I think it would be time to cut your losses and see what you can get for him in a trade. Preferably, for a two-way team player.

1 person likes this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, let's see, I'm not a coach, I'm just osme interweb dumbass, so I don't know why you even care, but anyway, I will humor you:

While I am not a coach, i can read, and I see that the Rockets are among the best teams in the league on offense and among the very worst on defense, so instead of instituting a grab bag of random offensive tactics dialed up from the DaDakotamatic Spaghetti-against-the-Wall v5.4.4 I would probably concentrate on defense.

Terrence Jones seems to be involved in a lot of the more egregious defensive lineups so I'd probably sit/move him, as much as that presents the unique problem of having to deal with Capela/Smith on offense.

Brewer is markedly better than Thornton on defense, most metrics back this up as well as the eye test and just plain old damned common sense - his gambles are well worth it becuase Thornton brings almost nothing on that end. Thornton should be out there to sub in for Harden, if he plays at all.

Rockets have ahd a lot of success with smaller-ball + 1 big lineups so I'd probably play that more.

You're welcome.

7. dmoneybangbang

This is the only correct answer. Kudos!

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I feel like this is old school classic Carl in action. I chuckled.

9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

1) I would have told Morey to forget about the big fish (LMA) this past summer and go after accessory parts that compliment Harden and D12 for the final year they are together.
    2) Brewer, Lawson and TJ would be gone for bags of chips and cash. 3) Harrell and KJ would be getting valuable experience. Harrell is our version of Draymond Green...couple of years from now. Start the clock.

10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

DD has some good points, chill fish

If i was jb i would fire myself