1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thibs and JVG are not coming back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 16, 2015.

1. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Valid points. While I don't disagree with you. I think great coaches should be able to adapt to their roster by changeing up their systems a bit. If either of them can compromise and focus on solving team's half court defense issues, without interfering Morey's 3&dash offensive system, we have a good chance of achieving what Steve Kerr did in GS here. It's precisely because of the top teams' formidable offenses, we need to fix our defense. We cannot out gun the Warriors, or let LeBron James take over the game. We need proper defense system set, and once that is set, it will lead to more and more fast breaks, which we thrive in.

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm pretty sure the only coaches that Clutchfans likes are past coaches

We wanted to fire JVG. Now we wish he was back for his defense.
    We wanted to fire Adelman. I have seen some people wish that he was back for his offensive playcalling.
    We wanted to fire McHale. If things don't get better soon I won't be surprised if we see posters start wishing he was back.

Shoot, there was even a time when Rockets fans were begging for Rudy T to be fired.

I bet it won't be long before we start saying the same thing about Bickerstaff. Is there an "officifial fire Bickerstaff thread yet?"

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden just told him he's just going to let that dude drive right past him

#43 tinman, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  4. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Good one... LOL!!!!

T_Man

1 person likes this.
  5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

With a healthy T-Mac and Yao, JVG had middle of the road offenses and top tier defenses. No reason he couldn't do that with Howard and Harden, but with the Morey system they might even improve on his prior offensive rating. JVG took teams with much less talent than the current Rockets to 50+ wins (teams where minute leaders included Juwon Howard, Luthor Head, David Wesley, and Rafer Alston). I sure wouldn't mind if the Rockets were on pace to win 50+ games this season.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe they might be, money talks......and either of these guys would be a massive upgrade.

DD

7. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Haha. Honestly though,

1) Thibs and Harden have a good relationship
    2) Thibs is tkaing this year off...coincidentally Rockets brass is waiting until after this season to consider a new coach.
    3) We still have a promising core and enough assets to re-tool if our current roster needs it.
    4) Thibs is a former Houston assistant.

....all in all, this is still an attractive destination for a top-tier coach.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wish that were possible too, would be awesome for this team.

I really feel like this team needs a teacher figure more than a authority figure. We're in an era of the NBA where players have figured out that coaches' bark is louder than their bite. Most of the this generation doesn't understand why they have to listen to someone yelling all the time. It works at the beginning with promises of unimaginable victory, but that voice wears out so fast as soon as the team loses a little bit.

What's great about someone like Kerr for example is he acts like a teacher. He used to play and was great at complimenting stars and playing without the ball, so he is an adept tactician. The players respect that whether they win or lose, and less of that grumpy shouting is needed.

We need to think about people management. Look at who we have. We have a team full of guys who have clothes, video games, music, lifestyles that older coaches don't understand AT ALL. That's important. Sure, some people would prefer that the players "man up" whatever that means. But that's realistically not going to happen. The tide is changing. The only holdover is the Spurs, and even Pops while an oldie off the court, on the court his system is always among the "youngest" in the league in terms of thinking, creativity, style. We're looking for names that have a history associated with them, but I think maybe we need to look for some gems like the Hawks, Cavs, Celtics did.

Who knows, Bickerstaff might be that guy in a year. I'm not nearly ready to judge the guy. He took over the team during the season in the midst of a crisis. It's his first time as head coach, and he's the head coach of a western conference contender. I've no doubt he's learning a lot, real fast.

Are there other guys around the league who are potential coaching stars? First place we should look to is the Spurs coaching staff. Can we pick up Messina from the Spurs, who's older but touted as an offensive genius? Would Budenholzer be willing to make a change? Brett Brown, Brad Stevens, maybe even Frank Vogel? Could Ime Udoka from the Spurs' staff be a good pickup? What about Mario Elie, is he possibly ready?

We have to dig deeper. I really don't want to hire yet another coach with an unignorable flaw like: offense, 50% of basketball.

I've pretty much given up on this season so let Bickerstaff have a go and learn about being a head coach. He's an excellent candidate if he is able to learn from his mistakes fast, and manage this crisis with sharp decisions.

1 person likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Independence Day 2 has stopped filming I guess, is Smith in it?

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Never thought Bickerstaff was going to work anyways. If there isn't an official Bickerstaff sucks thread, there needs to be.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

don't crush my dreams

12. Fantasma Negro

[​IMG]

13. AvgJoe

Where did Kobe learn to cross his arms like that...

[​IMG]

14. AvgJoe

Very insightful stuff man. Judging from Les' history, our next coach will be a big name coach though. JVG, Adelman, McHale, who's next ...

15. onreego

onreego Member

It's not like JVG kept Tmac in check when he was playing lackadaisical defense or displaying terrible practicing habits.

Coach K plus Thibs is what we need and that ain't happenin.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo. Harden on team USA with a bunch of all stars vs Harden on the Rockets with one all star is completely different.

Plus I think in international basketball, they don't play defense.