1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Clarity] Contrast Texans Draft Failures

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by val_modus, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ben Tate, Kevin Walter, and Jacoby Jones had good years under Kubiak too.

I still wonder what would have happened if Schaub hadn't broken his foot.

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Great to see who we passed on for these guys...

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You can play that game with literally any team in the NFL...for any draft over history.

Just as a random example...Through the first five rounds in 2011, the Denver Broncos could have had:

Justin Houston instead of Rahim Moore.
    DeMarco Murray instead of Orlando Franklin.
    Jordan Cameron instead of Nate Irving.
    Richard Sherman instead of Quinton Carter.

They would have won the Superbowl last year and this year. :eek:

4. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

What a f***ing idiotic comment. That is just so g** damn dumb I can't stand it.

I'd trade 10 years of below .500 football for 1 Super Bowl. Especially a Super Bowl won with a ton of drafted players that were developed in house. Especially when the two faces of the franchise were selected with the 75 pick or later (Russ & Sherm).

You really make it hard for me to come to this forum, Bobby. Thanks for that.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Excellent point... Just don't know how many of those GM's get to keep their jobs though who do that if they're not making up for it in free agency.

Denver drafted Demaryius and Decker in 2010 so there was no need for Houston... That is if you're referring to the Tennessee receiver.

They spent a 1st round pick on Moreno in 2009 so they were probably not ready to give up on him and or take another RB that early just two years later.

They drafted Julius in the 4th round in 2011 so there's probably no regrets about not drafting Jordan...

Richard Sherman was too much of an unknown commodity to blame a team for not drafting him... Plus Denver got Chris Harris as an UFA that year and he made the all rookie team so Denver may not be losing any sleep over that... Plus you don't know how good Sherman would be without Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor playing behind him.

Denver got Julius and Chris out of that draft (with Von in the 1st round)... Plus they make good moves in free agency so it's hard to knock them for their draft. Was that John Elway's 1st draft as well...?

But I get your point...

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Could it be this guy?

[​IMG]

7. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

I think he means the Georgia OLB from the 2011 draft and not the University of Tennessee WR Justin Hunter from 2013. But, like you said, they took Von Miller in the first round in 2011. You can never have too many pass rushers I guess.

8. Remii

Remii Member

My bad. Wrong draft as well. But he still makes a good point. Probably not going to hit on every pick. But if you pull 2-3 good starters out of the draft I think that's pretty good.

Out of the 1st round picks that are drafted every year _ I wouldn't be surprised if less than half of them live up to being 1st round picks.