1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[breaking] Malaysian Airlines loses contact with Beijing-bound flight, 239 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 7, 2014.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not current on my currents, but I'm pretty sure <a href="http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-312.78,-22.10,481">the map I posted earlier</a> is ocean currents, not wind currents/weather patterns/storms

The vortices are ocean currents. This is not a weather chart of winds.

Think, Magellan and how he had to deal with those vortices.

#1181 heypartner, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

i have low expectations on Malaysia finding out if its from the mh730

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Fortunately, Malaysia and their incompetence won't make that determination.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

5. Sajan

Sajan Member

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-ocean-infinity.html

BANGKOK — The government of Malaysia and an American ocean exploration company began a new effort on Wednesday to solve one of history’s greatest aviation mysteries: the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 nearly four years ago.

Ocean Infinity, a Houston-based company, could receive as much as $70 million if it finds the plane’s debris field or two data recorders within 90 days, Transportation Minister Liow Tiong Lai said Wednesday at a signing ceremony with company officials at Putrajaya, Malaysia’s federal administrative center.

daywalker02 likes this.
  6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking about this earlier in the week, wondering if they would ever solve this mystery. I'd be curious to hear how much this company is putting themselves out there, financially. What does it cost to conduct these searches for a few months if they don't find anything?

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Looks like their business is to map the deepest parts of the ocean, so this project might alright fit within another project, to a degree. They probably map whatever parts of the ocean are funded by oil exploration or science funding, so even minor support from Malaysia would make sense, as they get something out of it even in failure....maps.

Ocean Infinity with their record-breaking Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) do look like a prime candidate (if not THE prime candidate) to actually find something.

Ocean Infinity can use up to eight Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs), capable of operating in water depths from 5 meters to 6,000 meters. The AUVs are “free flying”, which means they will not be tethered to the offshore vessel during operations. The ability to operate untethered independent missions allows the AUVs to go deeper and collect higher quality data, making this technology ideal for the search.

The AUVs will be equipped with side scan sonar, multi-beam echosounder, sub-bottom profiler, HD camera, conductivity/temperature/depth sensor, self-compensating magnetometer, synthetic aperture sonar and a turbidity sensor.

#1187 heypartner, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    ElPigto and daywalker02 like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What's up with series of events in the same area?

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's a bit strange how they will continue to throw millions of dollars at this given how much time is passed.

You probably could have cured cancer with all these wasted millions of dollars. Surely, countless lives could have been saved with this money in one way or another.

Yes, it's a big tragedy but they already did more than is reasonable to recover it and came up empty.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

$135-$160 million is the estimation on Wikipedia. I dunno about curing cancer, but maybe part of the reason they've invested so many resources into locating the plane is to understand how to prevent this from happening again. No reason a plane like that should disappear from radar without a trace.

11. Surfguy

But, wouldn't the recorder boxes be key to that and those are long ruined by now? They aren't designed to last that long. So, then they are relying on the wreckage. Didn't they pretty much iron out that this plane ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean? I don't know what they would learn. I guess it's possible but that's a huge gamble.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Obama’s fault. If Trump would have been prez he would tweeted to keep that plane in the air.

Torn n Frayed and RasaqBoi like this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, cancer research has multiple billions of dollars a year. I don’t think a hundred million is going to be the big breakthrough.

14. Surfguy

Yea...obviously...I didn't do the math and was just goofing. How about curing baldness then? ;) How much is spent annually there?

15. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought the beacon on it was long since defunct but I was under the impression that the data on these black boxes is recorded on solid state drives. They might still be able to get something off them if they are recovered, even if they have been soaking in seawater for a few years.

16. Buck Turgidson

They really need to bring in the expert:

arkoe and RunninRaven like this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Probably as much as boner pills and diet fads.

18. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

So, the search has been underway in earnest for several days now. There is a great site that shares detailed tracking maps of the ship and the AUVs.

recole.org.uk

Sajan and Torn n Frayed like this.
  19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Jc Denton steroid charts

heypartner likes this.
  20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty ****ing wild watching the Netflix docuseries on it.