1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't rob Houston convenience stores unless you want a beating

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Jul 29, 2014.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is awesome.

Video of semi-pro MMA fighter knocking out robber goes viral

http://www.click2houston.com/news/v...ghter-knocking-out-robber-goes-viral/27195172

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/u-29uYuR2cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    HOUSTON -
    You saw him first on Local 2 -- a convenience store clerk who turned the table on a pair of robbers.

Mayura Dissanyake is a semi-pro mixed martial arts fighter who came to the rescue of a co-worker. Now his story has gone viral. Local 2's Amy Davis talked to the clerk-turned-hero about his newfound fame.

On Facebook, viewers wrote "Kudos to the store clerk" and "I want this guy for my bodyguard."

After Local 2 posted the story on Click2Houston.com, more than 4.5 million people worldwide have watched the video.

"I love it," Dissanyake told Local 2. "I'm having so much fun reading the comments, messages, everything."

Dissanyake went to sleep Friday night after the Local 2 story aired and woke up to some 500 Facebook friend requests. He hopes trending on social media will translate to more fans of his fights in the ring.

"Whenever I have more fans, then I'm going to have more fights because people are coming to see me, so the promoters like that," he said.

While Local 2 was at the store, a radio reporter stopped by. Dissanyake did another interview with CNN. He's not just popular in the United States.

Newspapers and media outlets in his native country of Sri Lanka are picking up the story. Friends and family back home posted the front-page news stories online, calling him a hero. His parents are doing a TV interview in Sri Lanka Monday.

"I texted my dad and I said that I was going to make you proud and I did," said Dissanyake. "He was like, 'I was proud the day you were born.'"

While he's got the skills, he knows what he did earlier this month was risky.

"I'm more alert than before now," he said.

He keeps a watchful eye in case the suspect or his accomplices return, but he has no regrets.

"I would do the same thing," he told Local 2.

Odell Mathis, the man Dissanyake beat into submission, bonded out of the Harris County Jail. Mathis, 33, is charged with robbery with bodily injury.

If you want to see Dissanyake's moves in person, you can. He's fighting at the Bayou City Event Center on Aug. 23.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

Any chance his buddies will come back to the store with guns blazing? Pretty scary schitte tbh.

3. VanityHalfBlack

I highly doubt it. That mma dude is a badass, stomped them fools.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Semi-pro MMA ANDDDDD convenience store clerk? Two professions!? Harvard?

5. VanityHalfBlack

Even if that's the case this is where the Samaritan law comes into place with their own guns a blazing.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

kinda dumb. clerk will be lucky if they dont come back and shoot him

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

it'll be hard to stop them fools with a gunshot wound to the chest

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Why is he a store clerk? Doesn't MMA give you enough money to sustain a lifestyle without needing a secondary source of income?

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

They won't come back, they ain't trying to get caught. Espeically with one dude getting busted. They will be long gone.

Man that was so bad ass. I would love to be somebody that whoops a robbers ass so bad that they had to retreat back to their car and left their friend. Imagine how awkward the ride home would have been lmao

10. Classic

Classic Member

Hilarious. 5-time champ lolll

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

An absolute thing of beauty.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dude is super cool. I live around there so I filled up my tank there and gave him props on Sunday.

#12 REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  13. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Let's not forget the real hero here...

Dominique Sachse for bringing us this special report!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

15. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Wasn't that Amy Davis?

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

But they guy is from Sri Lanka... are you OK with that, bigtexxx?!?!?! :confused:

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UJS3a20rUVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

all good until the thieves see this story, see his name, and then find out where he lives so they can exact some revenge.

19. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Of course -- although I've never been there, I love Thailand (especially their food)

1 person likes this.
  20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Better hope no one brings a gun