1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Receiver help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by luckystrikes, May 27, 2007.

Tags:
  1. luckystrikes

luckystrikes Member

Hey guys and gals,

I'm in the market for a new A/V receiver. I have a 15 year old Kenwood Dolby job, which just isn't cutting the mustard with all my new HD electronic toys. I know that no group of people can be as helpful as you guys when it comes to electronic gizmos.

I'm looking to get at least 6.1, but would prefer to go ahead and bust out for the 7.1. Advice, recommendations would be appreciated. I'm looking for something that can run my whole entertainment set up.

My budget is somewhere between 400-700 bucks. Could go a little more, but I really don't want too.

Thanks,

Lucky

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Andre Johnson is a pretty good pick up.

Too bad David Carr killed his chances as some type of hall of fame receiver.

Vince Young couldn't help Andre Johnson either, because Vince would line up behind center, throw a deep ball, and he would out run his own receivers and the dbs, and catch the touchdown.

3. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Make sure that you get one that has at least 2 HDMI inputs (1 out). You should be able to get one that does 1080p upconversion for around $700. I have a Pioneer Elite that I got from Tweeter that is amazing. It was $850, but well worth it.

I would also recommend Sony, Harmon Kardon, and Onkyo. You might want to do some research at Crutchfield.com. Very detailed site....lots of good info.

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Denon or Harman-Kardon

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bang-for-the-buck, Pioneer gives you a lot of features in that price range. You may also want to look at Yamaha's and maybe Onkyos. You can get a low-end Denon where you won't get a lot of the features of the Pioneer in that price range, but you can always tell people "I got a Denon". lol. :)

Do some research on avsforum.com.

7. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

I always go less features, higher quality. Spend more money on fewer things.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

so you agree boxing > mma!

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I can understand that, but I'm of the opinion most average joes couldn't tell the difference between listening to a low-end Denon and a Pioneer or Pioneer Elite, so they'd be better off throwing money at something that gives them stuff like more inputs/outputs, auto setup, better DSP effects, etc. I'm the same way about speakers. I may hear a 5-10% difference in sound, but is that worth spending 100% more to me? Heck no.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

v3.0, I'll see your Theta and raise you a...

[​IMG]

:)

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

See? VesceySux and v3.0 are the type of knuckleheads I'd avoid... :D

12. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie