1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Yao Ming's Review of the 2007 Half Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Jan 23, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Originally I planned to post this to the Dedicated Thread of Yao Ming's Rehabilitation.

But on second thoughts, I think it warrants more debates and justifies to be a separate thread.

So what do you guys think ?

Is Yao Ming too optimistic about the current Houston Rockets being a championship contender ?

2. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Not at all .. if any other team lost their bonafide starter, they're bound to tank. Can you imagine Spurs without Duncan and Parker, Jazz without AK and Okur, or Lakers without Odom/Bryant? Nope. We've actually held on. This is indeed a championship team!

3. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

and Suns without Nash and yet Rockets fans still complain and complain! :rolleyes:

Hahaha! that Yao...always cracking jokes! but anyways Yao with more muscles, bigger and stronger when he returns!!! :eek: watch out NBA centers!! notice I didn't say Shaq thats cuz Yao already took care of Shaq and his looong gone!!

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i agree with yao's assessment of the past few years.

i think our team is now entering the "playoff experience phase" - which should be followed by the "championship years phase"

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Not with current Mac with his back problem!

6. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Naaaaaah, we have to assume that TMAC will be okay with his back, and stays healthy, cos you cannot do anything with TMAC. He has a max and long contract, and there will not be any other teams interested in acquiring him, given he is known to have this chronic back problem. We are sort of stuck with him. We can only wish this witch doctor Patterson can continue working magic on his back.

7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you gotta love yao. it seems he always comes back from one of these injuries better than he was. wouldn't be surprised if he's been studying tape every single day as well.

8. stq

stq Member

I think the gained weight was due to alot of weight lifting and not enough cardios, which is understandble.
    But I don't think this is good for Yao, if anything, he needs to some pounds to reduce the load on his knee.

9. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Excited with his upper-body strength training.

My wishes for Yao when he returns:

- He has learned a few more tricks from watching all the tapes on how to prevent losing the ball to the swarming players around him
    - He has developed arm and hand strengths further that when he grips the ball, it doesn't come loose easily
    - He has learned from Mutombo how to be aggressive and make people pay for even trying to get close to him (wanna kiss my elbow?)
    - He has learned to time his jump better on rebounding and blocks
    - His legs have the strengths/stamina to last throughout the playoff
    - He has developed consistent shots from 15 feet away
    - He has learned to not necessarily wrestle to get inside every play and will shoot from 15-feet if left open - to keep opponents guessing and to save his strength through 4th quarter

Wouldn't that be monstrous for Yao and nice for Rox?
    What do you think?

10. Chronz

Chronz Member

What back problem, hes on pace to play in over 70 games.

11. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

The Lakers actually did lose Odom for awhile now (probably as long as we've been w/o Yao), but check the standings.

12. Fuse

Fuse Member

I think Yao is one of the only players that I know of that retains such a crazy workout regime even when he's injured. Props to him.

13. cook

cook Member

Get well Yao Ming.

14. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

And how much time did they lose KB? The point is about losing TWO of your best players.

15. johnrox

johnrox Member

you forgot to put in stoudamire, who is a bonafide starter. the suns did pretty damn well
    rox haven't held onto anything.

16. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Just look at the Heat w/ out Shaq, and he's nowhere near as important as Wade.

17. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

He get paid a lot, but his impact to Suns is behind Marion and Nash. Plus, as I mentioned in previous post, it's about losing TWO of your best players.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yao Ming is much better than Lamar Odom.

19. FFz

FFz Member

Super human healing ablilities. I love it! Yao knows his own body best, so i believe him when he says end of feb. dang this guy is just too much of a workaholic.

20. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

The Rockets have a great chance of winning the trophy this year. Like the Heat last year, who struggled with nagging injuries, lost Shaq, couldn't get their chemistry exactly right.... Then the end of the season came and everyone was hitting on all cylinders.

Not to mention that Yao, T-Mac and Battier have never been out of the first round so when the first round playoff series comes they will turn vivious. I cannot wait for the playoffs because the Rockets are going to bite into the other team that they'll never forget.