1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A forgotten part of Ming's game..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Sep 5, 2002.

1. GranvilleWaders

We have all been talking about aspects of Ming's game..I just thought about a different one..how about the tipoff..we should win 75% of the tipoffs at the start of every game..what does everybody think? Did I just create this thread?..damn I am getting bored waiting for the season to start!

2. aznlincolnpark

what a boring thread this is :D

3. Truth

Truth Member

I've never shared this thought with anyone, so don't call me weird. I'd rather the Rockets lose the tip, create a turnover, and score. This way the Rockets have possesion of the ball at the start of three quarters in a row. :cool:

4. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

You got a point. The tallest does't get the tip. The quickest jumpers
    get the tip.

The Rockets haven't had a better "tipper" than when they had Moses Malone.

tipper = one who tips off :)

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

again you speak truth!

6. Truth

Truth Member

Uh. Heh. Heh. Yep.

7. harumph

harumph Member

that's one thing i've never understood about the game - what determines which team starts each quarter with the ball? I thought it was tip-off for first then alternate with home team getting the 4th Q start...

8. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

No, it's the team that wins the jump that gets the ball at the start of the first (obviously) and fourth quarters, and the other team gets the ball at the start of the second and third :D

Pugs

9. windy

windy Member

Winning the tip-off means nothing serious in pro-leagues(NBA/CBA), 'cause each team has been granted two possesions within the four quarters. (only the 1st quarter needs a tipoff, I think)
    But as what we've been seeing on those international games, it's more important to make the tipoffs, since there're 4 tipoffs at the beginnings of each quater.

10. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

The game I saw of Yao on TNT I dont think he got too many tips did he?