1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Concern about Terrence Jones in Playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I think Jones has been awesome this year. Total steal at #18. On offense, however, his halfcourt game seems entirely predicated on the defender closing out on his jumper, which allows him to penetrate and wreak havoc. The problem is that Jones' jumper is shaky at best. In the playoffs, I believe teams will prepare more and realize that Jones won't be able to hit that jumper. They'll stop closing out and dare Jones to shoot. I predict Jones will really struggle to contribute offensively in the halfcourt unfortunately.

1 person likes this.
  2. maxiep

maxiep Rookie

We Blazer fans are planning to have his friends in Portland take him out clubbing when he's back home and then pass him by a homeless guy or two. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

IB4 BasketcaseHollic rants about how Jones is trash.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I predict Jones will get a lot of dunks

5. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

His ability to defend any player in the Blazers' starting five is a much bigger concern. In the regular season against Portland he only played 49 minutes across 3 games due to the Aldridge mismatch, and the Rockets were a ridiculous -45 in those 49 minutes.

PF matchup will not be pretty no matter what. D-Mo, who would already be less than ideal against LMA, is playing possibly the worst ball of his career. Casspi wouldn't achieve any more than Jones defensively, and while the Rockets have previously scored well against Portland with Casspi at 4, I would be absolutely horrified to pin my playoff hopes on him. Twin Towers may end up being the most useful lineup.

6. Evil Empire

Evil Empire Member

Offensively is the least of my worries for Jones. We have enough scorers on this team. If he can do a decent job defending LMA, I'll be happy

7. Play07

Play07 Member

its more to halfcourt TEAM PLAYOFF offense than that, I wish it was that easy tho:grin:

-the op broke down the jumpshot situation
    -howard/double teams
    -packing paint for harden drives

8. Karolik

Karolik Member

We'll find out...but his games against LMA have been really really ugly.

9. awc713

awc713 Member

Funny.

I'm not too worried about his offense in the playoffs.

Blazers will have their hands full with Dwight and Harden...TJones should be able to capitalize when the attention shifts towards them.

TJones has done a good job of moping up all year long, so I expect him to get at least 4-6 points a night just by getting to rebounds after Dwight is doubled.

10. basketballholic

IB4 dobro14229from3 rants that we ain't gonna win a championship anyways so we might as well let Jones develop. ;)

11. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

TJ is our future, and he'll do better over time.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Touché. It's all about that variance.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

josh powell can stick the midrange J, and probably D up LMA better than jones.

14. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I was wondering that too. I just didn't know if I having too much faith in a journeyman?

15. JazzLakerHater

It's not just Portland he struggled against. It seems like he has struggled against many of the top teams. I've noticed many of his best games came against weak competition. Although oddly enough, he's played very well against San Antonio.

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hahahahah that is hilarious.

Maxiep-

I would like for you to tell me three things that you think need to happen for the Blazers to win the series.

One thing that I do not like about the Blazers and there chances in this series, is the fact that Lilliard and Aldridge seem to take too many tough shots. Going against a Rockets offense that is very efficient and plays better defense than many give it credit for, will the Blazers be able to keep up?

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Jones thrives off his athletic ability. He lacks the fundamentals to beat more athletic players.

He struggles against Ibaka and Griffin, two of the most athletic 4's in the league.

18. basketballholic

Spurs didn't run a front line of Duncan/Splitter out there against him. Don't worry. If we make it to the 2nd round to play them, they will. And he'll look against them the same way he looked against all the other double big lineups...turrible.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets would not have made it this far without Jones' so called "turrible" play.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jones does a lot of other things that, of course, a hater would miss.