1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on The Starters (NBATV) ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OldfanofTmac, Jan 9, 2014.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Formerly known as The BasketBall Jones?

I think its a decent NBA podcast, nothing special though. And the stunts that Skeets does such as running on a treadmill during the show, and doing an entire show in a turkey costume was pretty stupid in my opinion?

Thoughts on this show? Also, do you guys believe that these guys make 2 million per year for this!? Leigh Ellis said so during their reddit AMA.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I've seen it a couple of times. Its what I would imagine us to be like on T.V but way lamer.

I don't like it tbh, trying too hard to reach out to the fans.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

It's quite medicore. Better than some of the stuff ESPN puts on, but nothing special.

Not like open court, that's quality stuff.

4. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I actually love it... I'm a fan of any NBA show that actually shows highlights and talks about most teams instead of the 3 or 4 major market ones... And I generally find them funny

5. omgTHEpotential

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I liked The Basketball Jones. I haven't really seen them since they went mainstream though.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I've never liked these guys.

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't like it quite as much as TBJ but it's still very enjoyable.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I completely understand why they would do this, as a career move, but the podcasts, while still a good listen, aren't as fun as The Basketball Jones podcast. I really miss the "drops" from Matt Austin.

10. chandlerbang21

11. VBG

VBG Member

I loved the basketball jones. The Starters is ok.

I do appreciate that these guys actually watch a ton of basketball and like it.

I've been listening to them for over 6 years now I think. Damn.

12. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

It would be a good podcast.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'v only seen it once a couple days ago, thought it was pretty good. They were talking about basically all the stuff we do in the NBA Dish plus more.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I watch it on NBATV and I enjoy it only because of lack of shows that talk about previous nights NBA games. I dont know if I could just listen to it as a podcast without the highlights though.

I agree that Grantland is superior. Grantland needs to make an hour show for broadcast television.

15. VBG

VBG Member

Their unfiltered podcast was brilliant. They were proper NBA junkies who put in the effort of watching games talking like us. And some of their creative stuff is awesome.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_o2ieIcPL2o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What did they used to show in the same time slot? I think it's fine. Good to have another NBA show.

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

so disappointed but have actually given up on the podcast, once you watch the show you know there is so much of a difference, no drops, and just a general reduction level in stupidity, them chewing the fat and talking about crap (their lives) they also talk more about games and have footage that relates, this doesn't work on an audio podcast.....the betting is gone with great payoffs is gone (tas pole dancing is an all time classic), the rounders updates are gone, the sex warriors are gone, the drops are gone, the singing nba player song are gone, the terribly inappropriate tweeter handles are gone....

it was the first podcast i listened too every day, never missed one in years....

saying all this its a great tv show, just difficult for me to watch, for some stupid reason they don't put whole episodes on Apple TV, which means watching on laptop or ipad... so then often don't

good on them getting the gig... unfortunately the creation of a good tv show has meant the death of the best podcast going round....

http://vimeo.com/19525184

18. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I like it enough to DVR it daily... like someone else said, it's one of the few places you can get commentary/highlights for teams outside of major markets. I do prefer Jalen & Jacoby as NBA podcasts go, but I probably wouldn't like theirs as much either if they went mainstream and had to cut all of their "don't get fired" moments.

19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Basketball Jones was better, but the show isn't bad by any stretch. The guys are knowledgeable and fun.

20. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Loved The Basketball Jones, now they're bound by the limits of a network. Still enjoy them, but not as much. It's not their fault per say, it's just because of the situation they're in with staying "PG"