1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rick Adelman OUT as TWolves Coach

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by drowsy12, Apr 17, 2014.

1. VBG

VBG Member

I actually strongly disagree here. Postseason success depends more on the players than the coach. Adelman making a team with Chuck Hayes at center, Scola and Brooks as the best players is more impressive to me. You have to look at the talent available and whether the coach was able to maximize it.

Is it Adelman's fault that Yao got hurt when we played the Jazz for example? You can't just spit out numbers while ignoring context.

2. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Even worse, he had a title stolen with Sacramento by the Ref. Tim Donaghy was the jailed ref commented on it.

On June 10, 2008, Donaghy's attorney filed a court document alleging, among other things, that Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Sacramento Kings was fixed by two referees. The letter states that Donaghy "learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games. Tim knew Referees A and F to be 'company men', always acting in the interest of the NBA, and that night, it was in the NBA's interest to add another game to the series."[39] The Lakers won Game 6, attempting 18 more free throws than the Kings in the fourth quarter, and went on to win the 2002 NBA Finals. The teams were not named, but the Western Conference Finals was the only seven-game series that year.[40] The document claimed that Donaghy told federal agents that to increase television ratings and ticket sales, "top executives of the NBA sought to manipulate games using referees".[39] It also said that NBA officials would tell referees to not call technical fouls on certain players, and states that a referee was privately reprimanded by the league for ejecting a star player in the first quarter of a January 2000 game.[39] Stern denied the accusations, calling Donaghy a "singing, cooperating witness".[40]

That was a fun team to watch too!

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Great point. Misinformed fans are quick to throw out playoff wins like we had playoff caliber talent lol.

4. DocRock

DocRock Member

I don't care for Rick Adelman's coaching of late, but he is a legit championship coach. Refs stole his ring in 2002.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about when tmac lied to the rockets about his health ?

6. Nook

Nook Member

A vastly over rated coach. Has been an NBA head coach for over 30 seasons and never won an NBA Championship. Demanded more say in Minnesota as far as the draft, trades and free agency is concerned. Made a mess blowing assets and cap space on players like Chase B and Kevin Martin.

7. Nook

Nook Member

It has nothing to do with propping up Morey.
    Hell, Morey hired him to begin with.

It has to do with the fact Adelman is vastly over rated. He is a good but not great coach. The calls that he is a Hall of Fame coach are absurd. He has been an NBA coach for over 30 years without a championship.

He is rigid and inflexible. He got the type of control he wanted in Minnesota and made a huge mess blowing cap space and assets on Chase B, Brewer, Martin and others.

The excuses used for Adelman are insane.. And you have to ask, after 30 years is it bad luck?

Overall a good but not great coach, very similar to George Karl.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

You sound like a Morey staff member reading off his talking points lol. Chase Budinger? Kevin Martin? That's like fans describing Morey as "wasting $$$ on Joey Dorsey & Royce White" and ignoring all his other successes. Also, didn't K. Mart lead us to Harden?

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

And pretty much everyone would say, "Tough s**t." Whether we like it or not, coaching success is most definitely based on the playoffs. And what, so in the playoffs, all of a sudden the coach scales back? If anything, when you're playing the same team several times, coaching adjustments can be critical to a team's success, moreso than the regular season.

Nah, you're not having hardly anyone say Don Nelson is a better coach than Phil Jackson, or that Rick Adelman is a better coach than Pat Riley.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

No one is irreplaceable.

I do wonder what input KLove will have on the replacement process?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Surely. But only that. Not his final call. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/TravisAune">@TravisAune</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson">@DarrenWolfson</a> regardless who it is, will Love be consulted on who the coach is?</p>&mdash; Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/456811375596040192">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would take anything Sid Hartman says with a grain of salt. While he is the oldest MN sports writer and an MN institution he has been wrong a lot.

That said I think chances are that Rick Adelman is likely gone. As I said I'm an unabashed fan but he has lost his mojo. With age, the health of his wife and all of the injuries to his players I'm not sure he can or should keep coaching.

As a fan I would like to see him take this T-Wolves team that seemed to have figured some things out at the end of the season, for one more run but my head says that it is time for Rick to enjoy a well earned retirement.

13. kastuul

kastuul Member

He is a better coach than MaHale.

14. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

He is a good Coach but I think he is getting worse over the years,he never plays rookies and to me just seems like he sticks with the same game plan every game. If he went to a team with Veterans he can definitely do something maybe like NY or Toronto.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

C'mon Nook. How can you ignore that he was cheated by the refs in 2002 or that he ran into the buzzsaw of the Bulls in the 1990's?

Winning a championship is tough in the NBA as any Rockets fan should know. It's not just the coach but a lot of other circumstances need to go right. Do you consider Doc Rivers and Spoelstra greater coaches than Adelman, Karl, Nelson and (God forgive me for saying this) Sloan because those guys have never won a Championship?

16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

QUOTE=GoRox2013;8858052]Best coach in Rockets history. Would take him back anyday[/QUOTE]

Does Rudy T. ring a bell? You know, the guy we won both of our titles with?

17. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Your criticism is fair, I'll give you credit. But never plays rookies? Didn't AB get his shot under Adelman? What about Carl Landry? C'mon bro

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Funny thing about winning percentages:

McHale is second in Rockets history in winning percentage. If the Rockets win 51 games or more next season, McHale will pass Adelman.

I'm looking forward to your defense of McHale as the best coach in Rockets history.

19. do work son

do work son Member

mchale also had the luxury of james harden and dwight harden falling into his lap. adelman would do better with this team than mchale does

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Did Rudy T & Adelman have the same roster talent?