1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honda Center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheTruth, Nov 11, 2003.

1. TheTruth

TheTruth Contributing Member

Adrian Wojnarowski on espn.com called our arena "Honda Center", did anyone else catch this?

"These are basketball parents refusing to surround themselves with strangers at the Houston Honda Center, refusing to believe they must watch the game like emotionless statues with eyes studying them to reveal a rooting interest. The Van Gundys are the second set of brothers to ever compete as NBA head coaches -- Larry and Herb Brown did for three seasons in the mid-1970s -- and the old coach most responsible for this night was on the telephone trying hard to pass it off on everyone else."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=wojnarowski_adrian&id=1658775

2. hjg877

hjg877 Member

I was just going to post that. What idiots.

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

OMG thats just SAD, & they get payed for this?? Just sad ... :rolleyes:

4. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

5. Kiki

Kiki Member

I could care less what they call it...ever since companies starting buying the names of stadiums, I've resorted to either calling them by their previous name (ie. Summit, Candlestick), or if they didn't have a previous name, just "Rockets' Arena".

I'm not going to give these companies any more free pub than they're already getting...:p

6. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Hahahaha, some of you overreact about the smallest things. Is this something I should just get used to on this forum?

7. magicoz1

magicoz1 Member

Seems like they fixed the mistake.

8. a-rock

a-rock Member

you guys actually remember PISTON HONDA? :D

9. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Soda Popinski was a b*stard at first.. but after a ton of practice he's pretty easy to deal with.

It's sad I still remember the code to Mike Tyson:

10. Grydian

Grydian Member

I miss that game... some b*stard stole my copy of it... I still like to drag out the old nentindo sometimes..

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I knew a guy that looked like Bald Bull.

12. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

That game was awesome. Which one was bison honda, it's been a long time. Or was it Piston Honda, like you said. I need to find that game again.

13. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

14. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

You can just get an old NES emulator for your computer and play all your favorite games like that and Contra lol....MAME is one of the better ones and widely available.

15. SLA

SLA Member

In the Chronicle...they put today's game at Compaq Center..

16. verse

verse Contributing Member

[​IMG]

manboobs was a boxer???

17. tannersearle78

I'm sure somebody else will refer to the staduim as the "Isuzu Center."

To avoid confusion, why don't they just change the name to "The Japanese automobile industrial conglomerate center."

I think they should have just named it with something thematic to the city itself, and since it's Houston, home of NASA, I'm sure something like the "The Launching Pad" would be up there, but that's pretty hokey.

Or maybe they should just stick with "Toyota Center," but screw around with the name the way most boys do with their Toyota trucks by scraping of certain letters. The "**yo** Center." Could be a great commercial tie in with Yao commercials, and probably less confusing.

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

19. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You you classify this thread as overreaction? If so, how do you suggest it should have been handled?

20. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I legitimately think/thought he was making a subtle joke, and that it just wasn't that funny.

Strange if it was an actual mistake.