1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sporting News? or NBC News - Hakeem Gets Dissed Again!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by F.D. Khan, May 18, 2000.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

There's An Article in the Sporting News about how Shaq should already be placed among the Greatest centers ever ( i.e. Wilt, Russell and Kareem ) When they mentioned Defensive Prowess they mentioned Robinson even, but no Hakeem except for his name once when they mentioned he lost in the finals. They neglected to mention he was SWEEPED and completely outplayed on both ends of the floor. Yes, he has rapidly declined and its almost painful to watch him as a shell of his former self. But Where do you place him in the History of Best Centers??

Sporting News,

I don't know how you can talk about best Centers and include Shaq but never mention Hakeem Olajuwon...Hakeem carried the Rockets for years with little or no help until 1995 when Clyde and Barkley came when he was over 33 years old. Hakeem dominated Robinson, Shaq, Ewing Etc. in his prime and has won two championships and reached the finals in 86 also like Shaq in his second season. Hakeem was never publicized because of his un Marketable appeal of a humble, religious warrior. Longest streak of 20pt 10 reb games consecutively in the Playoffs with 10 games. NBC was Hyping-Up Shaq for having five. In the Orlando series, Hakeem humiliated Shaq and the Magic after averaging over 35 points on MVP David Robinson. Bill Russell Himself said Hakeem's the best center in the last 20 years. IF Bill Russell gives him that respect, Kareem called him the best defensive center he ever played against, why can't the media give him his rightful place in History.

F.D. Khan
    Houston, Texas

------------------

2. F.D. Khan

Here's the link to the Article and The above letter is what I wrote to sporting news.
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/408528.asp

So Where Do you guys think Hakeem Ranks all time among Centers?

------------------

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Dream is my #1 center any day of the week.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

4. playahata

playahata Member

I look at Shaq's season this year and Hakeem's offensive numbers were just as good in his prime, but Hakeem blocked 4 shots a game. He has the most complete game of any center ever.

------------------

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

If it really bothers you that much, you will root for PORTLAND to beat Shaq-fool and co. If you'd rather root against Pippen, don't complain when people start calling Shaq better than Hakeem.

------------------
    "We're sitting there, shooting alcohol into our veins...

We could just drink it!"

-Tommy Lee

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I dont know if I missed something here, but what in the world does rating the best centers ever have to do with rooting for the Lakers or Portland this year. I mean, we are not talking about Scottie Pippen now-lets push that aside for the time being.
    We are just saying that Hakeem's numbers during his championship runs completely destroyed Shaqs. Sure, one might say Shaq has more support on his team (Kobe and Rice versus Kenny Smith and Vernon MAxwell) and doesnt have to carry as much, but that really isnt a valid argument if you ask me. Heck, in the second run Hakeem destroyed that years MVP-David Robinson. I will say that Shaq has been a tad bit more dominant this year than Robinson was that year (It is really just opinion), but that would be like someone destroying Shaq in this years playoffs. We all know if someone did that NBC would get on their knees and start hailing this man as supreme G-d of basketball. Besides, Hakeem was a much better defensive player than Shaq is.

IF you want to talk about rooting for a team though, here is my plan-
    Portland over Lakers
    Heat over Pacers/Sixers
    FINALS=
    Heat over Blazers
    I know it is a little far fetched, but that way neither Pippen or Shaqfu get to win it, and i have no problem with Zo or Mashburn or anyone else on the Heat

------------------
    Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

To me, Olajuwon ranks #3 or #4 all time.

#1 Wilt Chamberlin: because his presence literally forced the game to change rules to make it more fair and even Jordan never scored 100 points or averaged 50 for a season.

#2 Bill Russell: probably the greatest defensive center ever and who can argue with all those championships.

#3 Hakeem Olajuwon: the most skilled and fluid big man ever. All time leading shot blocker and the most dominating player in the league for two years.

#4 Kareem Abdul Jabbar: Scoring, defense, rebounding and the sky hook. He is arguably the most potent center at both ends in the history of the game. No offense to Hakeem, but if they would've kept shot-blocking as a stat when Kareem started, Hakeem would still be chasing him.

At this point, you can lump 5 or 6 guys into the next positions: Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Willis Reed, George Mikan, Bill Walton and Robert Parrish spring to mind.

I still believe Shaq and Alonzo Mourning have the ability to be right up there and, arguably, Shaq may be already, but they need a few more years to really make their own legacies.

It is so hard to compare players even who played the same position, though, because of the different times in which they played and the different types of skills. I know one thing - it is fun to watch all of them no matter if you hate them or not.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

9. F.D. Khan

I agree with Jeff about His position if not Higher. Wilt was unstoppable but never made any of his teams better and never won anything till he teamed up with an all-star Los Angeles Jerry West led team. Let's not even start to talk about the talent around Bill Russell and Kareem in their championship years. Hakeem finally got some help when he was near the end of his prime. Imagine if he had a Magic or Jerry West with him through his career. Or even a Stockton, KJ, Pippen or any other complementary star. Well the would,could, should argument gets us no where instead just look at the blocks, the performances against the other "premier centers" in his prime. Its pretty straight forward. Now i think that next year if he get over his bronchial problem, he can still be very productive and an all star. Earlier this year he had some very productive games, and with the focus on the outside, he will get less double teams. I think this could really be a reinvigorating final year for Hakeem PROVIDED he stays healthy. But even if not, he has nothing to prove. The rings, stats ,love in Houston and respect in the league is enough. Personally he's my favorite athlete ever and I still love to watch him in action. I think next year can be comparable to Magic and Kareem in 1980 if Hakeem comes back strong and we do well in the free agent or draft. Imagine this lineup

C Hakeem / Cato
    PF Swift or Brian Grant / Thomas
    SF R. Lewis/ Wizard
    SG S.Anderson / Mobley
    PG S.Francis / Norris
    I really feel this is a team that can do some damage in the post-season. We've fared well against LA and Portland and the better teams in the league. Rockets Champions 2001!!
    ( Hey I can DREAM can't I)

------------------

10. DUDE

DUDE Member

I posted this on their MessageBoard. A few people have replied already.

I just finished reading Mr Phil Barber's commentary on
    the Greatest Centers. He mentioned how Shaq deserves to
    be ranked up there with Wilt, Kareem and Russell. Then
    mentioned Great Centers like Moses Malone, Willis Reed,
    George Mikan and David Robinson.
    My question to MSNBC is this. Do you want someone who
    Obviously knows nothing about Basketball to offer his
    inept opinion? If so you have the correct man in Mr
    Barber.
    One HUGE glaring ommission from Mr Barber's list is
    Hakeem Olajuwon. Like Shaq, Hakeem made it to the finals
    early in his career. But while Shaq currently has the
    pleasure of playing with Kobe Bryant, while both in their
    primes, Hakeem never had any such luxury. He led a group
    of CBA outcast to the finals in 1994 and beat another
    good Center in Patrick Ewing. Then the next year with a
    little help from an old Clyde Drexler, Hakeem had the
    BEST playoffs of ANY Player ever. If you doubt me please
    pull up footage of the Spurs/Rockets matchup and watch
    how Hakeem totally outplayed and embarrassed Mr Robinson.
    Yet you chose to list David Robinson as a great and not
    Hakeem.
    Is it because of Mr Olajuwon's poor ability to speak the
    english language that held him off Mr Barber's esteemed
    list? If so, then why did Shaquille Oneal make it when it
    is obvious with every interview he does that he has a
    hard time grasping the English dialect?
    Every offseason Hakeem would dedicate himself to making
    himself a better player. And every year he did so. Mr
    Barber also talked about Shaq's defense and his blocked
    shots. I guess Mr Barber was uneducated as to the fact of
    who is the leading Shot blocker in NBA history. Yes it is
    Hakeem. Not only did he block the most, he intimidated
    the most. While Shaquille is a big body just knocking
    players out of the paint, Hakeem was smooth as silk. He
    could beat the biggest centers in the game with his
    quickness, as he did to Shaq. And he could beat the
    quickest centers in the game with his agility, as he did
    to Robinson.
    I was actually looking for a job earlier this month, but
    I think I found my calling. Surely, if MSNBC allows Mr
    Barber to commentate on something he so obviously knows
    nothing about, I will have a job waiting for me with your
    company. Thank You, I will be in Monday Morning, bright
    and early.

------------------

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Jeff,

Do you know what Russell's FG%, FT%, and PPG averages for his career were?

FG% - 44.0
    FT% - 56.1
    PPG - 15.1

The guy was a great defender, but I still think Hakeem with his blocks, steals, and just plain intimidation is the greatest defensive player of all-time. Plus, Hakeem has had to play in an era dominated by great centers: Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, Kareem, O'Neal, and Parish. What other great centers played with Wilt and Russell? Kareem, and.....

When you rank the greatest centers of all-time, they should have a category or disclaimer.

Greatest Winner of all-time = Bill Russell
    Most Dominant Player of all-time = Wilt Chamberlain
    Best all around Center of all-time = Hakeem Olajuwon (He's at the very least second on this list).

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

12. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

F. D. Khan-- Wilt won a title with the 76ers in 1967.

------------------

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

DUDE --

That was amazing! Absolutely hilarious letter.

DREAMer --

Thanks for those percentages on Russell. I really think he was simply the beneficiary of having every good player in the league on his team back then (except for Wilt, of course). After seeing those numbers, the guy just does not stack up to Hakeem at all. I'm having a hard time understanding why everyone thinks he's one of the 3 best centers ever. Those numbers are just ridiculously low. Maybe Boston still would've won 8 championships in a row with Dikembe Mutombo as their center. Thanks again for the numbers.

------------------
    "We're sitting there, shooting alcohol into our veins...

We could just drink it!"

-Tommy Lee

14. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Myeb I missed something too...

NO, I will not root for Portland. Scottie screwed the Rockets, Charles Barkley and the Houston fans. I will never root for that ASS!! I don't even want that yellow bellied b*stard to make it to the finals. I hope they get sweeped!! I am pulling for L.A. in this series simply becuase I don't want the living [​IMG] "modern art masterpiece" [​IMG] winning anything ever again!

As for Hakeem not getting his due, I'm used to it. It's just never going to happen because, IMHO, he is foreign. I can't think of one foreign player the NBA has gotten behind 100%. Not Hakeem. Not Mutombo. Not Kukoc. No one.

It doesn't matter because we all know what he's done, who he has dominated and how he has triumphed....LONG LIVE HAKEEM!!

------------------
    We need some meat in the post!