1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The trade for Gasol would've also allowed the Rockets to rebuild easier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Dec 11, 2011.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Funny thing that I haven't really seen mentioned during all this hoopla, is that the Gasol trade would've made it easier for us to rebuild if the team needed to. Generally those for the trade, including myself, talk about bringing in Nene and create a top 4 western seed to compete. But the funny thing is, and one where you have to appreciate Morey's love of "flexibility", bringing in Gasol and (perhaps) Nene also make the Rockets much easier to just say screw it and start over.

Why? Because good centers have value.
    Much more value than a SG that stat geeks love or a PF with no athleticism and bad defense. This FA has demonstrated that clearly.

So to the tanking crowd who are breathing a sigh of relief right now. Imagine the trade deadline comes and the Clippers are the 6th seed thinking they have a legit shot. Do you think they will part with Aminu or Minnesota's unprotected pick for Scola or Martin? Or do you think they will do it for Pau Gasol? Ask yourself that question, and see if you feel the Rockets should be relieved that they "didn't give up too much".

2. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Don't understand why this needed a separate thread either. I don't disagree with the point that Gasol and Nene would be more desirable players, but this assumes that a) Gasol actually showed up and played well here and b) we didn't have to take back a whole load of junk contracts to make up the numbers.

3. GBRocket

In fact, you could say I'm "meh" on your post overall.

4. cod

cod Member

Denver are reportedly keen to re-sign Nene. They can offer him more than the $70M/4yr max. Rockets would have been betting the farm on Nene. I didn't like the odds.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, wouldn't any trade of Scola or Martin also reliant on them "playing well"? I don't see how that's any different. FWIW, Gasol in the season he supposedly tanked in Memphis, he put up the same stats as he did later for the Lakers. Only difference was higher FG% given that he played with Kobe instead of nobodies.

You could've just looked up the trade to see whether this would be true or not.

6. GBRocket

Not sure you understood me. I was saying that with Gasol on ~$20MM/yr and Nene on ~$15MM/yr we'd have to take back significant salary in any trade. To match the size of those contracts we'd likely need to take some junk back in return, especially if we wanted to get high draft picks.

7. GBRocket

Also... I think its fairly clear that Gasol was not thrilled to come to Houston and if he tanked like Vince Carter in Toronto that would for sure have implications for return trade value. I think we can count on Scola and K-Mart to produce like they always have, so this is less of a question mark.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Good to know that MadMax and madmax11 are acting equally dense on this matter.

#8 TheFreak, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  9. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

I'm convinced they are the same person.

Neither look at the big picture.......

10. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Marc and Pau on the same team would have been an interesting pair to watch, especially with McHale as coach.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is hard to look at the big picture when Stern and others are virtually standing against US.