1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To join US Army ROTC or not to join

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xenochimera, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

for those who dont know, ROTC stands for Reserve Officers Training Corps. i got an invitation from John Hopkins University for their ROTC program, and its looks very attractive, they will cover my college tuition as well as paying me $250-$400 a month and also $450 per semester for books ($900 per year). And to top it off, there are no military obligations. But still, it looks to good to be true, spend only 5 hrs a week and they cover pretty much everything?? anyone joined or can tell me some info on in?? because right now i think i might just join since college tuition is going to kill me.

any help will be appreciated.

2. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I have no experience with ROTC but it sounds like a scam.

3. tXhiggs

tXhiggs Member

i dont know anything about ROTC, but anything to get a degree from Hopkins has got to be worth it. i would suggest contacting people at hopkins about it.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

ROTC is not a scam...most colleges have some kind of ROTC program. I just thought that you had to give years of service if they are to pay your tuition, so that does sound a little fishy.

EDIT: I looked it up. I think the first two years are free with no obligation to the Army, but if you continue after that, you have to have an obligation...either like 3 years of active service, or 8 years as a reservist.

Not bad...you'd graduate college as an officer. I think it looks good on resumes to show that you can complete an ROTC program as well.

#4 Supermac34, Jun 20, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What degree are you planning to persue?

ROTC could be a very good career path if you have skills that keep you out of the line of fire.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Unless you are David Robinson.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

With enlistment levels dropping off rapidly, It's getting to the point that nobody will be kept out of the line of fire.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Here are some info from my university about ROTC.

What is ROTC

Army ROTC is an elective curriculum you take along with your required college classes. It prepares you with the tools, training and experiences that will help you succeed in any competitive environment. Along with great leadership training, Army ROTC can pay for your college tuition, too. You will have a normal college student experience like everyone else on campus, but when you graduate, you will be an Second Lieutenant in the United States Army.

Commitments

Army ROTC students who receive an Army ROTC scholarship or enter the Army ROTC Advanced Course must agree to complete a period of service with the Army.

You can serve full-time in the Army for three years (four years for scholarship winners)
    Selected Cadets may choose to serve part-time in the U.S. Army Reserve or Army National Guard while pursuing a civilian career
    Enrolling in the Army ROTC Basic Course does NOT involve a commitment of service to the Army unless you have received an Army ROTC scholarship.

Classes and Curriculum

Army ROTC students take classes like any other college student. You also attend your weekly MSL (Military Science and Leadership) classes from once to three times a week (depending on what grade you are in) and weekly leadership lab. The weekly leadership labs are where you put to practice the knowledge that you have gained from your MSL class as well as learn Common Tasks that all soldiers need to know.

The MSL classes that are taught in each grade level are follows:

MSL 101 - Foundations of Officership (1 or 2 cr.)
    MSL 201 - Individual Leadership Studies (2 or 3 cr.)
    MSL 301 - Leadership And Problem Solving (4 cr.)
    MSL 401 - Leadership And Management (4 cr.)
    Every Army ROTC Cadet who enters into the Advanced Course attends the Leader Development and Assessment Course (LDAC). It's a four-week summer course to evaluate and train all Army ROTC Cadets. This course normally takes place between your junior and senior years of college, and is conducted at Fort Lewis, Washington.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I think if they paid for your room and board too, it might be a better deal, but I just don't like the smell of it myself. Especially when there is so much free money out there for your tuition.

10. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Your college experience will be drastically affected.
    You will be required to:
    Maintain your GPA
    Maintain your physical conditioning
    Report early (5 am?) at least 3 times per week for physical training
    Participate in "voluntary" ROTC programs, that take up a lot of your time
    Spend most of your time with other ROTC guys (mostly) and girls (seriously?)

I also agree to be wary of a "no military commitment" agreement. There's always a catch.