1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by binvegas, Nov 18, 2006.

1. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

This guy just turned eighteen, I have been watching him and I think he can still grow another inch or two, he could possibly be the next Kevin Garnett with added strength and improved rebounding and shot-blocking. I know we wouldn't be able to draft this guy, but he is the truth. :D

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Durant looks like the real deal, he has unbelievable set of skills to go along with a lot of length. He has the same type of build KG had coming out of high school but has the handles of a guard, can shoot and pass the ball, and can rebound.

The kid should be the #2 Pick in the draft next season.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I wish he would stick with Rick Barnes for another season, but it's highly unlikely and probably a bad business decision. He's averaging 20+ and close to 10 boards per game so far. He has made a lot of freshman type mistakes, which is to be expected. He needs to work on his post up game still. However, Barnes exact quote is that he is "200 miles from where he started when he got" to UT.

He's going to be a very very good player.

4. kevwun

kevwun Member

I would compare him to McGrady instead of Garnett.

5. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

yeah garnett isn't really his mirror. he's more tracy mcgrady.

6. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

I see Durant every once in a while on campus- kid is tall but he needs to bulk up a bit more IMO- definitely a perennial top 5 pick in the draft for sure. I'm looking forward to catching a few games this season - he's probably leaving after this year.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He's got Garnett's build, but not his game. Mcgrady is a bit off as well. Some on Hornfans have said Lamar Odom.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I saw him play the other day at the Erwin Center. The Lamar Odom comparison is fair but he's definitely more explosive than Odom. Odom is pretty good at cutting to the basket for a guy his size but Durant can just flat out explode to the basket. Very good handles for a guy his size and he'll definitely get a little taller since he's only 18.

But yes, he needs to bulk up for sure.

9. gucci888

Durant really is TMac's game in KG's body, the kid has potential out of this world. Odom is a decent comparison but like geeimsobred posted, Durant looks more explosive.

10. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Durant=Dirk

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Reminds me most of McGrady; he's thicker than both Garnett and McGrady were at the same age. He's not a toothpick at all. He's also a lot more fluid than those guys were. The only problem is I can't tell how good the other freshmen are because he dominates the ball so much. I think the body impresses me the most though. To be able to handle the ball and shoot like that at that size and age is impressive.

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I think he's gonna be a good pro. Another thing, he probably isn't as explosive as either KG or Tmac. Like his game though. So far, he's a better rebounder than TMAC, but defensively, behind Garnett.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

He's definitely more explosive than KG. KG relies on a post game and mid range jumpers. Durant is physically able to cut through defenses and penetrate like a guard. His ball handling skills and quickness are/will be better than KGs.

He's still raw in many ways though and its too early to judge exactly who he will be like.

14. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

IMO it would be worth blowing the rest of our games to get him. ;) I have watched Texas on TV several times this year and Durant is gonna be a great one. He can shoot out to the arc, has incide game, can pass like a guard, rebound well, is not bulky but weighs 220 on 6'10" frame. He is fluid, has good handles and is the first person I have I seen since Magic that could probably play 5 postions at the next level. I want him! With TMac descending he would be a great addition.

15. kryten128

kryten128 Member

Looks like 2007 will be a strong draft. Too bad our timing for the lottery is off by a year.

16. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Okay, everyone says he'll be the #2 pick in the draft. What I want to know is, who's better than this guy? I can't imagine anyone more polished with more potential than him right now. Is it the Oden guy (OSU?) ? I haven't seen him play so I can't comment.

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Oden edges him based on positional value. Unless Oden comes in and bombs in college, he's locked in at no. 1. I'd rather have Durant, but Oden should be such a monster defensively that I can understand him going no. 1.

18. gucci888

Like Puedlfor posted, Oden is ranked higher because he's a big man. The kid would have been the #1 pick when he was a junior in high school. Unless you're Lebron James, big men almost always go first.

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Durant is going to be a flat out stud.

I think the Odom comparison is pretty good; he's similar in terms of build, basketball ability, and fluidness on the court. I'd say Odom is a better distributor (remember, the Steve and Cat on the wings with Odom running the show, and "it's over" ;)) but Durant is a MUCH better shooter. Odom has worked a ton to get where he is now as a 3-point shooter, and I'd say Durant is better than him in that department today.

I see Durant as an Odom type player with Rashard Lewis shooting ability, and THAT is straight nasty.

I got to see Brandan Wright the other day, and I was impressed. His shot is not there with no range (he shoots rainbows from the free throw line), but he had some KG-like defensive abilities in terms of instincts with freakish athleticism. I saw him fly out from under the rim to block a PG shooting a jumper coming off a PnR. Looked really good rebounding the ball too.

If the rules hadn't changed, this could've been a different draft, and we may not have made the trade for Battier.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

On the subject of young players to watch... We saw Darrell Arthur at the State Championships last year and my buddies that have been going for 25 years thought he was the best player they had seen there outside of Shaq.
    (my fav is still Chris Bosch)

He has 19 against Fl the other night, 6 in overtime.