1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Fitch - Rox assistant coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pasox2, Aug 20, 2002.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he'd be a great pick-up, now that he really can take a job.
    I'd guess he's at that point in his life where he could take that kind of support job, anyway. Rudy could use an experienced assistant. Fitch has a good rep with big men. Fitch could provide that extra, winning edge to get the most out of our young talent. I can see Rudy and Fitch's differences being complementary.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news/ap/20020820/ap-clippers-fitch.html

I hope they'll at least make the inquiry.

p

2. mdg

mdg Member

What about it oeilpere?

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

He's a pretty good coach but he would not be a good fit right now. He's a guy that has to be the main man and he's got a completely different style than Rudy. He's a much tougher coach where as Rudy is a players coach.

4. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I anticipated the objection, but would think Fitch is at that point in his life where he could take the support role. Fitch/Rudy could play good cop bad cop. Fitch can do more x/o work, Rudy can do more player handling. Fitch can help teach Yao, deliver unpleasant news. Rudy was a better coach with CD on the bench - he hasn't taken on another significant assistant since. Fitch covers Rudy's deficiencies, and Rudy likewise. Head coach is a big job and Rudy could use the help. It could help they have worked together here, before, and seem to get along, with mutual respect.

If Nellie can have 7 assistants, Phil can have Tex Winters, even doghouse clubs get a wizened career assitants like Don Chaney or Richie Adubado, why can't Rudy get some quality help?