1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If in playoff contention - Will the Astros pull off a trade deadline deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Drewdog, May 22, 2003.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I would hope so, but my instincts tell me now. I would love to have another solid arm to throw out there. Someone who can make an impact on our pitching staff.

Thoughts?

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm sure they would love to pick up another starter but they will be workign with a limited budget. To get someone they would have to trade salary or try to get someone that makes very little.

3. dc sports

dc sports Member

The bigger issue will be what do you give up?

Just like last year, we have run into the problem that there just isn't an excess of available pitching talent. In order to get even an average starter, we're going to have to give something up -- something we'd like to keep.

The only players I can come up as really being tradable (and getting anything) are Hidalgo, Lidge, and Dotel. Hidalgo would be the obvious prospect, since he's hitting better and questions about his summer injury have been answered. I think he's in the final year of his contract as well (I doubt we'd re-sign him), and he would free up some salary. Still, we'd have to replace him, and it would almost have to be Merced (Our best pinch hitter / Utility Outfielder) or Lane, a barely tested rookie.

Lidge and Dotel I bring up, because our bullpen is pretty solid, and we 'could' live without them. Dotel could be a closer for someone. But -- I'd HATE to loose either, and I'm sure they don't want to mess with the one stable part of the team.

But we need to do something. I wouldn't mind seeing Hidalgo go for a good starter, but we're going to hurt no matter what.

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If I were Houston,

I decide if Hidalgo is back for good first of all.

If so, I offer Saarloos, Lane, Robertson, you name it in my minors for a good big league pitcher.

If not I dangle some good prospects with pete munro and hidalgo possibly.

Or I decide I can live with one of blum/ensberg at 3b and offer one up for trade.

I think a deal that makes some sense is Brian Lawrence in SD. The padres are done for this year and he is starting to make some serious money. They also have a boatload of young starting pitching and need more offense. A couple prospects could get that done.

Another deal is with the mets for Al Leiter. They are finished, the sooner Phillips realizes this, the better off they are. However, he actually makes significant money so we are pipedreaming.

Also, signing Finley is an option. Or trading for Brad Penny or Jason Marquis, or Sidney Ponson or Joe Kennedy.

There really isnt much starting pitching avail this year.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Trade for Al Leiter...

I do think we will make some kind of move if we're on track to contend for the Div or Wildcard. However, I think we'll just add a #3 starter or maybe a vet reliever.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Chuck Finley. Houston has had good luck with older players called Chuck putting our team over the top!

All it would cost is money.

Bye Bye Lefty!

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

uhm... check the numbers -- lidge and dotel are the reason the bullpen numbers are so solid. they're both on the absolutely, positively untouchable list. wagner's a distinct possibility, though.

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I Have absolutely no problem unloading Wagner and putting Dotel in the closer spot.

9. BALLhog 247 365

im not sure about that...in 2000, he was good for middle relief, and when wagner went down, he blew like 9 saves that year.

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

I realize they are a big part of the reason the bullpen is doing so well. (Didn't I say that?). However, the question would be whether a starter is worth more than a reliever. We have other good relievers, so we 'could' live without one of them -- even though no one wants to lose them.

The problem is, you can't trade a crappy player for a star. We're going to have to give up something. Since starting pitchers are so hard to come by, it would take a great reliever or position player to get an OK-to-good starter. The only relievers we have that are that good are Dotel, Lidge, and Wagner. I left Wagner off, because I don't think that as a contending team, they'll trade away their star closer.

11. Hey Now!

you realize that three years ago, right? dotel is not the same pitcher he was in 2000.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i would not trade dotel or lidge...quite frankly, i wouldn't trade wagner either. the astros are competitive BECAUSE of their bullpen and timely hitting right now. starting pitching has been disappointing. i'm willing to give some of the younger starters some time to work it out...but i don't think the astros should trade away their bullpen...their bullpen will likely be what separates them from the rest of the NL Central.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It'll be Wagner if it happens. Though, everybody needs starting pitching, so who is gonna be willing to give up a solid starter? Wagner is gonna want some mad cash for his next contract, cash we won't give him, unfortunately.

14. Hey Now!

when he's making $7-8M/year, you better believe they would.

and you don't weaken one part of your team to strengthen another; dotel and lidge are invaluable and irreplaceable. i don't care what starter they might get, those two guys have the capacity to impact every single game.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

isn't wagner signed for like 2 more years?

16. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I agree. When was the last time Wagner got out an Atlanta Brave? Has it ever happened?

17. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Everytime the Astros are in contention and make a deal before the trade deadline it involves minor league prospects for MLB players. If have a feeling the Astros will probably try and get a quality 3rd starting pitcher for some prospects. No way do they get rid of Lidge, Dotel, or Wagner unless they start tanking or a #1 pitcher becomes available.

18. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Wagner, Dotel, Lidge, Hidalgo aren't going anywhere! why do these names even come up. Every single name mentioned we need badly. Without them we wouldn't be in the position we are in today.

19. W Texas Rocket

I would like to trade Hidalgoand give Lane a try. I think we should also release B Hunter if we cant trade him.