1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If anyone is looking for a job in Dubai..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mathloom, May 29, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's a trap.

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What sort of things did you do in Jeddah that you enjoyed?

I'll be honest, my coworkers and I find it to be really dull. It's probably because we're not in with the locals.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I've never served in the military but a big time student of the world history and social environments. Is there a way a guy like me can move to Dubai get a good job and concentrate on overall well being and learning? I could be a field journalist of some sort. Use their facility to workout and meditate. I live a pretty clean life anyways due to some physical and mental health issues.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Check your rep.

1 person likes this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You're welcome Broseph.

6. Mathloom

Supporting Member

All the fun in Jeddah is in the homes, not outside for obvious reasons. It's kind of reverse, all the parties are at home and the non-parties are outside lol. Watch parties, movies, small gatherings, big parties, it's just very fluid and a few people hanging out can quickly turn into a serious night. Like you said, you have to be in with the residents (not necessarily Saudis). I have a friend who lives in Qtaif (aka Qatif) but he's in Jeddah all the time. I'll ask him when he's in town. How often are you there?

The casual/fast food in Jeddah is super underrated, visit any of the hip/hipster/new local restaurants all over the city. These will stand out just by the names and signage most of the time. Some of the best burgers, shawarmas, sandwiches, fried chicken I've ever had. I think Al Baik fried chicken is way overhyped IMO, but that's a big favorite in Jeddah. Shawarmer is a crazy good Shawarma, make sure to get the spicy green fresh cream, forgot what it's called. Crave, Section B, 19th Century make great burgers. 77 Burger makes a decent burger but a crazy good black pizza.

On the fancier and foreign side, Toki and Bellevue are my favorites but IMO they're not better than what you would get at that price anywhere in the world.

The comedy club is really great and you'll meet really forward thinking young Saudis as well as a lot of American/Western educated Saudis, but the show is in Arabic 90% of the time.

I know you're a big traveller, if you don't plan a trip to Madain Saleh you are missing out on one of the most underrated, least known, strange archeological sites in the world. I've never been, but been dying to go. If we meet up let's definitely at least try to do this. Just the dark, eerie history and story and the fact that it was literally off limits to everyone until very recently puts it on my to-do list. These things were inhabited sometime before Moses and after Noah, but still in pristine condition except for the pieces that have been stolen and sold.

7. s land balla

I'm here two-thirds of the time.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Far left looks bbw. Meaty shoulders

9. s land balla

Keep these food recs coming! Zam Zam has some of the best Pakistani food I've had west of Lahore.

Have been to Toki many times - nice ambiance, but not my favorite cuisine. The other restaurants in the Leyalty Group are fantastic (Byblos, Rico, Hanisan). Will have to check out Bellevue.

I have been dying to go to Madain Saleh as well!

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If you're American, you'll easily get a job even if you're under qualified.

I wouldn't advise you to get into journalism if you have principles.

The social environment is segregated by class. If that interests you, you'll enjoy learning about it. There are some 100+ nationalities in just the 2-3 million population of Dubai, so that's always great for learning too.

As far as concentrating on overall well being, the pace is very hectic at work but that could vary depending on the job you get. If you're serious about your work, you'll be very busy. However, there are plenty of expatriates who do *****-all and collect a paycheck for being old, speaking English and lying about their experience. I've also heard from a lot of friends that teaching English here is more lucrative than having a decent job in the US so you might want to look into that. It's easy and you'll really be embedded in the fabric of society (kids, schools, local/expatriate teachers).

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not sure if you're kidding or serious, but I didn't get a message anywhere.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Damn that's rough lol. There's a slight possibility I'll be there on Wednesday for a day before heading to Cape Town. Are you there/free?

13. s land balla

This Wednesday or next? I'll be here this Wednesday, but not next. Leaving this Friday for Vancouver.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It's encrypted.

1 person likes this.
  15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

As long as DaDa doesn't have to move there, that's really all that matters. Because Islam.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Keep that to the D&D.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I know you are trying to be funny, but arab, persian, middle eastern, are absolutely the hottest when on point..and its not even close -

[​IMG]

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not disputing that there are many beautiful women from that part of the world. One of the hottest chicks I know is Palestinian. And Israeli women are very beautiful as well.