1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hasheem Thabeet - TipJar Bet Anyone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Feb 16, 2011.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Maybe a stupid thread, but anytime I read a post mentioning Thabeet (i.e. - every 5 seconds, including mine now!), I want to punch someone in the face. This guy's a stiff. Yet, amazingly, a quick search for Thabeet in the GARM yields 5 pages worth of threads mentioning his name since the current season started.

Apparently, there's a bunch of people out there who think we'll trade for him (or should trade for him). I think the notion is ridiculous, and DM would never give away assets he's worked tireless to get for a guy who is horrible.

I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. DM isn't this dumb.

$20 to the tip jar if the Rockets blow my mind and end up trading for Thabeet.

Anyone else in?

2. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I hope your wrong, this guy can block shots, rebound and look down on every bigman in this league... defensive minded centers are worth something... K. Perkins, M. Gortat, T. Chandler, B. Haywood..

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

none of those listed are as soft as thabeet

4. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

wait until Jack Sikma gets ahold of him :eek:

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thabeet certainly isn't soft, he is just an idiot at this point.

He certainly has rebounding and shotblocking potential.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/d7qCRZjM-Mk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Yep, I agree with you, so count me in for $20 bucks.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LROagZx4vsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You can't deny that his size, athleticism and timing is slobber worthy...

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

What if Thabeet is considered a "throw-in" or a contract the Rockets had to take back. Would you still lose the bet?

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The future Black Mark Eaton! :cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes. I'm willing to bet that DM wants no part of him.

Keep in mind he's getting paid $4.7 million this year and over $5 million next year... and while Les is willing to go over the luxury cap, DM usually finds a way to get him under it at trade deadline.

And, as the Grizzlies may still be holding out the slimmest of hopes for him, will they just throw him in a deal vs. trying to get a real asset?

In either case, it's obviously impossible to guess whether or not he'd make his way here, even if Morey loved his upside it may still not happen. I'm just more tired of seeing his name floating around than anyones (even Melo - at least Carmelo is an consistent all-star). I see a lot of "get ready to welcome Thabeet" type posts, so thought I'd throw out a tip jar bet.

11. gah

gah Member

You might punch yourself where your mouth is as well.

I'm with you but I can also see Morey taking a flyer on him, a deal like Mayo and Thabeet for Lee and Jeffries is not too shabby and makes sense.

He is not near the top of my wishlist but he would be a fine consolation prize for me.

1 person likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed! Don't think the Grizz would do that deal though.

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Isn't "Hasheem Thabeet" just Arabic for "Stromile Swift"?

3 people like this.
  14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think Morey will pursue him like he's going to save the franchise, but at the right price, he's at least a good back up at center. He's more valuable to a team that doesn't need him to score, but just wants him to play D and rebound.

The problem with him is he's already 24, as raw as he is, that's pushing it. Can't really give him years to develop, like someone who's only 20 or 21. However, memphis isn't exactly helping by limiting his playing time severely. He hasn't played more than 18 mins in any game this season. Doesn't make sense on a rebuilding team.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Here are his D-league stats over 6 games:

31mpg - .500FG% - 11RPG - 3.2BPG - 13.8PPG - 2.6TO - 3PF

not bad. he's worth taking a flier on if Les can afford to overpay salary-wise. I wouldn't overpay trade-wise though.

#15 Aruba77, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Just my opinion only, but I agree with JayZ750 -- I don't see Morey acquiring Thabeet as some prize. However, LongTimeFan brings up a good point... Thabeet could be taken on as a negative in order to gain value on another piece of the deal (like Mayo).

17. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Can't teach height.

18. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

That's what Google translator said.

19. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Can't teach desire either.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You know, if you're going to make that claim, can you show some evidence that Thabeet can be a defensive minded center without going "7'3'' HURR HURR HURR." Chuck and Shane should be proof that defense isn't just height. And Thabeet should have shown SOMETHING in the NBA that shows that he can do that sort of stuff.

Sure. Let's look at his actual NBA stats:
    8 mpg - 1.1 PPG - 1.6 RPG - 0.3 BPG (per 36 wise, this is the rate of Shane Battier. And Shane can actually play 36 minutes without fouling out.)

Swift had hops.

But wouldn't mind doing a small tip jar bet that we are not going to do some r****ded "Miller for Thabeet" or "Jeffries for Thabeet" deal. Maybe we'll get him with Mayo, but I doubt it.