1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Digital Camera restrictions at Compaq

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Castor27, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I remember bringing my Digital Camera to the game last year. I now have a new camera. What are the restrictions for camera at the game? I know it had something to do with the zoom but I can't remember what it is. Anybody have any idea?

2. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I would suggest putting it in your bum, but be careful that you don't catch dysentery.

I can't remember what the zoom setting is either, as long as it doesn't say it on the outside just tell them it is 2x or something. They don't have the most technical people working at the gate anyways. :p

3. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I brought mine to Olajuwon's retirement cermaony, and it was just a basic 2MP camera with a digital zoom. They had to get a second person to look at it, but I was able to bring it in.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Well mine is 10x but the one I brought last time was 16x but it is a different number that they look at. I'll check with some people at the picnic and se eif they know.

CK

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i had a 35 mm with I think it was 85x, I think 85x is the highest you can go with out zooming into Glen Rice's stomach.

6. txdonk

txdonk Member

I went to a game recently with a 10x digital zoom DC, very large lense. They took a long look at it but let me in.

One caution though: they will ask if your camera is capable of taking video segments, I lied and said no. I think that's a factor as well.

7. Tim

Tim Member

The rule is really meant to restrict professional quality cameras. They'll allow anything that doesn't go over the standard 80mm or 85mm zoom lens that comes with a standard 35mm camera kit.

Most personal digital cameras are well under that, and aren't any problem.

Just be patient with the security people; with all the new digital cameras coming out, the question of what's allowable and what isn't is more complicated now, especially since many digital cameras use different standards than what were around when the rules were written. But if your camera fits the specs, you should be able to get in with only a minimal delay at most.

Tim

8. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I was at a game a few months ago and saw Mayor Laniers wife shooting with what appeared to me to be a "professional quality" camera. I guess the folks with the courtside seats are given a little more slack. :(

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I took a Olympus 35mm camera to the early Cavs game, with a pretty big zzom lense. I think it was 100mm....they let me in with it(it wasnt attached to the camera at the time)

and I took my new Olympus D550 dig camera to the Smeg game, and they just glanced at it and let me in...no prob..I guess it depends on who is looking at it..

I wish I had the 35mm one for the Smeg game since we were in the upper deck....the dig camers would have been peerfect for the Cave game since I was 10 rows back from the Rox bench....

Oh well...

Tim,
    are the camera restrictions going to be the same for the new arena?

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I wish you were in charge of the Target Center in Minneapolis. They refused to let me bring in my digital camera and claimed it was an "NBA rule". I even contacted higher-ups at Target Center who also agreed that digital cameras were against NBA set guidelines.