1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what happened to the competitive first round series

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zyt, Apr 24, 2015.

1. zyt

zyt Member

there have been 3, 4 close games so far in first round, last years had about 20 , now east is on pace for 4 sweeps and the west 3, not much excitement for viewers

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Top teams got better.

3. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Well if you are really watching the series every game has been competitive outside the Memphis blazers and maybe the spurs clippers.

It's just that the better teams are closing the games

4. zyt

zyt Member

didnt watch every game, maybe 1/3 , who in thie r right minds would watch cavs vs celtics , i though raps vs wizards would be competitive but it was quite boring, there is just no overall great series, like memphis vs okc last year

5. YourSecretLover

the first round has always been boring. The exceptions were last year and maybe a couple of series( CHI-BOS 2009, LA-OKC 10, etc).

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

the first rounds are always boring, especially in the east, when having a +50 wins team against one under 40 wins.

you only have one series in the 1st round that is exciting, once in a while you get 2, but thats it.

thats why they should do like they did before -3 out of 5-

the real playoffs start in 2nd round.

7. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Im just wondering, what is the schedule going to look like if like 5-7 teams sweep?? That would mean everybody a week off and no basketball or will all the game 6/7 already be game 1 & 2 of the next round? Haha

8. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

They'd start the next round as soon as the matchups were available. In the past, they've had game 1's of the 2nd round being played the same day as a Game 7 from the first. They would just spread those games out to allow the other series to catch up.

I'm not sure there will be that many sweeps after watching the games. In the East:
    - None of the East games have been blowouts even though the series are lopsided so far. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Nets, Celtics, and Bucks manage to pull out 1 game at home. As far as the Raptors, I just don't think the Wizards can stay focused for 4 straight and could see Toronto winning 2 straight before losing in Game 6.
    - In the West, New Orleans had their chance in Game 3 so it'll be interesting to see how they respond; very easily could be swept, but Golden State hasn't exactly won big in any of the three games yet. Mavs aren't a young team and I doubt they go out easily on their home floor; could very well see another close gane against the Rockets. The Clips looked bad in Game 3, but they'll come back strong in Game 4 and then have a home game in 5. That series is probably going 6 at least. And Portland is going home now where they are much better; theyll win at least 1 of the next 2.

9. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

matchups imo

at least in the west I think thats a big reason

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't know, I think it just happened. It looked better going in. Raptors have been disappointing, even though I didn't see them as a a very good team, I thought that series would be interesting. Mavs blew up due to chemistry. Carlisle isn't the best coach to handle volatile personalities, he's shown that in Indiana and now this year. Give him a smart team with strong leadership who will follow his Xs and Os, then he'll do miracles.

I also think OKC/Pacers missing playoffs on the last day ended up making those 1-8 matchups a little bit less interesting. Well, to me definitely since I'm a Pacers fan, but I think to a general viewer too. It was looking like we'd see Cavs-Pacers at one point near the end of the season, that would've been cool, simply due to rivalries.

11. ln3012

ln3012 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As expected, Elias Sports Bureau confirms this is first time under playoff format intro'd in '83-84 that five teams have 3-0 lead in Round 1</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/591960483248283649">April 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The didn't go to 7 game first rrounds until 2003. Stein is an idiot.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

If he's going back before 2003, maybe he's counting sweeps from the best of five era.

Or, as you said, he's just an idiot.

14. Voltik

Voltik Member

-David Stern
    +Adam Silver

That's what happened.

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

This is only the first round what did you expect? Not every time an 8th seed beats out at the 1st seed.

Also almost every game has been close, there hasn't been a lot of blowouts most go down to the wire. For example just because Houston has beaten the Mavs 3 times doesn't mean the games weren't close.

16. tksense

tksense Member

So what Happens when a team wins the first 3 games in the first round before 2003? Is that not 3-0?

Idiot?

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This I agree with. When Stern was commish it always seemed his bottom line was making money so he would dispatch his team to make sure some series were extended. Or he would make sure the teams that made the league money would advance. It seems with Silver he has a hands off approach and letting the teams play. We got weird teams in the playoffs, strange matchups and a bunch of 3-0 series.

18. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

More of a matchup thing.

So far only Spurs and Clippers are the most interesting at this point.

19. MystikArkitect

And everyone complained they got matched up together. Honestly the biggest reason these 1st Rd series have been lame is Durant and Mathews injuries. Dallas, Pellies and Blazers were fodder for the other teams.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think with the rise in ticket prices + the rules changes that forbid rabid defense, the home court advantage is not what it used to be.

Replace a bunch of real world blue collar drunk guys in the old Boston Garden, for instance, with people who can pay hundreds of dollars per ticket, plus another whatever for parking, plus another $10 per beer, and yeah, they will stand up and yell occasionally, but the opposing team does not fear for their very lives.