1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Debt Collection question

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JD88, May 2, 2014.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

I just received a letter from the Department of Defense that I owe $3,207. It doesn't say what for, or why, but that if I dont make a payment within 10 days it will be turned over to the Department of the Treasury for collection.

I was in the Marine Corps, and judging by how horrible their administration practices are, I am guessing it has something to do with that. I had to pay upon checking out because they had been overpaying me $12 per month while I was in, and since it is coming from the DOD, I kinda just assumed, but I have been out now for 2 years.

So, what do I do? I feel like blindly paying it off seems stupid. There is an (888) number I can contact, but I read that the one thing to do to avoid debt collection is not to admit to the debt to begin with, and in doing so, I would make myself liable for the past due debt even if it doesn't belong to me.

Anybody have any advice?

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Damn, that sucks, but prob would be a better question for a lawyer...

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Are you using the same checking account when you were in the military? If you were..they would've automatically withdrawn the funds from your account. Sounds fishy that you're getting a letter two years later. Do your due diligence to make sure it's a legit bill. If it is, pay it off. Not worth having your credit damaged over a small amount.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Send Refman a message he is a bankruptcy attorney and our resident expert on these issues.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

Yes I am. Like I said, the letter says its from the DoD, which, automatically leads me to assume it has something to do with the military.

Other than that, there's no explanation what the charges are for or where this is coming from. It looks like a legit letter, but I don't want to respond and then automatically damn myself to something illegitimate.

6. body slam

body slam Member

Why not just call the number and ask what the amount is for?

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

*I'M NOT A LAWYER*

I haven't dealt with the government, but this could eventually deal with those slimey collections assholes. You don't have to admit debt when you're verifying the debt is yours. Cover your ass two-ply. Calling is fine. Do it, but know that there's no tangible proof of he said, she said. While getting your intel, send a certified letter with written questions in response to the debt to verify that it is yours.

You're not in such a bad shape. The only problem is that the debt accrues interest as it goes down the chain. So if it's legally yours, then you'll eat that little bit of extra money.

Those ****ers know that, so they give you the least amount of info to intimidate you into paying off something you might not really owe. You have your rights. Firmly contest it with a paper trail.

Also , even if it's yours, they may not want to negotiate with you, but eventually some party will. I'm dubious on paying all of that 3k when it sprang up from nowhere.

That last part you should explore legally or get a consult with someone who knows the system.