1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Angelina Jolie Accused of Disrespecting China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jun 11, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that big of a deal but this seemed both funny and sad that people would get upset about this. It reminds a lot of LOF in the GARM getting worked up about any possible slight at Lin.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not the same at all. China denies the existence of an independent Taiwan. Taiwan is not a protectorate of China, it is an independent nation that rules itself. China simply "claims" sovereignty over them and considers them a rebel group. They do not recognize the government of Taiwan.

There's no real comparison to make for an American equivalent.

3. conquistador#11

Ban her and take away passport! silly american from america!

4. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Keep in mind that there are still many in Taiwan that consider it part of China except that the KMT should be the rightful government of all of China.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The important thing to remember is Angelina Jolie is an imbecile.

1 person likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Gotdayum I hate how people saying stupid s*** on social media now qualifies as news.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Bingo.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

You are surprised by the voices of a bunch of "social media users" and treating it as news worthy?

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As I said above I found it funny and sad.

10. hlcc

hlcc Member

Both Taiwan (ROC) and China (PRC) claim they are the sole legitimate ruler of China in entirety. Taiwan currently still claims mainland China as part of the ROC and till the late 60 or early 70s Taiwan's military still actively planned on retaking the mainland. In fact the two sides never actually signed a peace treaty and are still technically at war.

11. Hmm

Hmm Member

Oh, I see... When I say Lin isn't Chinese but Taiwanese, I'm promptly addressed by half the board for my erroneous perspective/attitude on his heritage.... however, when miss Jolie says the same thing about Ang lee.... Suddenly, it's no big deal, and she's merely showing awareness...?

Sexist!

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Taiwan has since 92, recognized that there's one china, two systems. None of China's political parties has brought up outright unification, but the Taiwanese aren't unified on the issue of unification or sovereign independence.

The current status quo is more or less independent governance without the official trappings of an independent Taiwan.

As time progresses, I think unification is eventual (50 years?) barring some grisly PR disaster or major Chinese war that sours the Taiwanese people against it. More people are worried about raising or maintaining their standard of living than electing corrupt and incompetent politicians. Public opinion about the people they vote isn't so high right now..