1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden as PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There are a lot of people who complain about harden playing PG. At OKC he played the point a lot when he and Westbrook were on the floor together. I think it worked better than when Westbrook played pg. I think the problem with it here is that he doesn't have a durant, westbrook or even an ibaka to pass to. Asik has trouble catching the ball. Lin is not shooting well. Patterson and Parsons are kind of inconsistent with their shot.

I think Marcus Morris needs to get more time. He was super star type player in college and he does have some game and his shot looks pretty solid. I think not having delfino also hurts since he too is a solid shooter. I think when the starting 5 us on the court harden would be better off being the SG since he can score.

2. zdrav

zdrav Member

Harden is much better at shooting than Lin. However, he is not a better passer than Lin.

Therefore, Harden should play SG and Lin should play PG in order to maximize the backcourt.

Simple.

3. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Durant and Westbrook, being on the floor, takes away the other team's two best defenders. Harden is going against the opponent's 3rd best defender. So Harden can easily drive, which pressures the defense to help leaving other shooters free.

Now with the Rockets, Harden goes against the other team's best defender. These are guys like Batum who can block Harden's shot and cause him to turn the ball over. They don't need to help on defense. I don't think it's a problem with complementary players. I think Harden is not there yet as the playmaking PG.

4. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

You are Understating Harden's Play-making abilities. I think the coaches would know best.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Yeah, I think most feel the same way. You give Harden the ball early, the defense surrounds him and he usually ends up trying to be a hero (usually resulting in a turn over or we get a wasted possession). I like Harden and think at times (especially when with Douglas on the court) he should handle a few PG duties but not all the time.

Thankfully, I think (I haven't been able to watch all of the games) within the last few Sampson is starting to see that as well. They are letting Lin and Douglas actually move the ball up court more and trying to set up plays rather then just handing off to Harden and praying for the best.

6. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

You're wrong clutchfans posters know best. In fact les should just hand over the team to the posters. Fire the coaching staff! Off with their heads!

1 person likes this.
  7. MKL

MKL Member

Sampson playbook

PG- Heroball
    SG- Heroball
    SF- Heroball
    PF- Heroball
    C - Heroball

1 person likes this.
  8. archinkent

archinkent Member

What bothers me is that when all 5 players of the opposing team pack the paint, Harden still tries to attack the basket, and get stripped in the process. That's just low bball IQ in his part.

9. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

What about that Harden ISO which he flopped on and lead to a turnover? Harden really needs to stop flopping. It's embarrassing.

10. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Yes. Like how they are benching one of their best players in crunchtime.

11. MT1417

MT1417 Member

I wouldn't say it's low basketball IQ but more of a gamble because he's looking to draw the foul. I do think he relies too much on that, resulting in the turnovers at times.

12. MKL

MKL Member

Harden is a superstar now, league refs didn't get the memo though.

Houston press already asked Harden, "how does it feel to represent Houston in the All-Star game." LOL

So, the agenda from the Rockets management is to inflate Harden's stats ASAP. If this means losing games, they obviously don't care about that at the moment, HEROBALL!

For the previous 4 or 5 seasons, good PGs fall out of the sky for Houston. We're very spoiled from getting 2nd rounders playing like Stars.

So, it's not crazy for coach to think that anybody can play PG. Douglas can be just as good to dribble the ball up halfcourt.

13. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

Harden is the best player on the team...

and the guy who should be getting the last shot...

or at least be involved in the last play of the game...

the team just isnt using him properly...

14. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

What a paradox. It's been discussed non-stop since the game that a certain group of fans are all mad because a certain player didn't get to be the hero.

Ans since when does a play book have plays drawn up by positions?

1 person likes this.
  15. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

That's the best post I've ever seen of yours. Keep it up.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL. Well said. Can you imagine Omer going hero ball? I am in tears just thinking about it.

17. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

please stop with your bias...

if you are going to defend the Rox coaching staff for not playing to its players strengths...

then you should be on here too to defend the players when they have poor performances

because were going to see lots more of that.... as we wait and see when or if they ever develop

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Harden is a combo guard. As we have seen, he is not a Kobe type who can always get his shot off when gping against the other team's best defender when he isolates and everyone knows he is going to shoot..

He needs to pass more in those situations. Fortunately his passing ability is at least typical starting point guard.

19. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

well then you have not been reading my post...

I have said many times... I feel Harden, Asik and Lin are not being used properly...

20. MKL

MKL Member

Sampson heroball playbook has no positions. He learned that from Miami.

Also, stop talking about that other guy. You seem obsessed.