1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: Van Gundy, Rockets working on finalizing deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0609/1565431.html

Monday, June 9

Van Gundy, Rockets working on finalizing deal

----------------------------------------------------------------
    HOUSTON -- Barring contract negotiations falling through, Jeff Van Gundy will be the new coach of the Houston Rockets.

Van Gundy on Monday informed Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson that he would accept the franchise's offer to be their coach and instructed his agent, Jim Ornstein, to finalize a contract.

The former Knicks coach, 41, spent two days in Houston last week meeting with Rockets officials and looking at schools and houses with his wife. But he left town without accepting the Rockets' offer, which was believed to be for $4 million to $5 million annually for at least four years.

"It was very nice. Houston is a beautiful city and the Rockets are a great organization. I had a great time," Van Gundy said.

The deal to hire Van Gundy, the former New York Knicks coach, also will depend on whether the Rockets can agree to give the Knicks some form of compensation for hiring him. Van Gundy is still under contract with New York through July 31.

Van Gundy was offered a five-year deal worth between $25 million and $35 million by the Washington Wizards to be their next coach. According to ESPN sources, Van Gundy would not have the general manager's title in Washington, but would have significant say in personnel.

The Wizards have not confirmed that an offer has been made.

Van Gundy has been owner Les Alexander's top choice to replace Rudy Tomjanovich, the longtime Rockets coach who stepped down on May 23.

The Rockets had told their other primary candidate, Mike Dunleavy, that they will not make any other moves with potential candidates until Van Gundy makes his decision.

Van Gundy had a 248-172 record as Knicks coach, including a 37-32 mark in the postseason. He guided the Knicks to the 1999 NBA Finals, which New York lost to the Spurs in five games.

He was a Knicks assistant from the 1989-90 season until he was promoted to replace Don Nelson late in the 1995-96 season. Van Gundy was on Pat Riley's staff in the 1994 Finals when the Rockets defeated the Knicks in seven games for Houston's first NBA championship.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Sorry if this has already been posted. :D

2. sjeev4

sjeev4 Member

dang...u beat me to it

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've been supporting Van Gundy all this time, but I've suddenly realized that it would be a huge mistake. I hope negotiations fall through. If he is hired, he will be commonly referred to on the BBS as JVG. Meanwhile, people will refer to me as JV. Now, as I scroll through a thread, I'll constantly be stopping, thinking someone is addressing me when really they are just talking about Jeff van Gundy. This is going to drive me crazy!

4. SLA

SLA Member

Hahaha!

"Houston is a very beautiful city!!!"

...."Sure rains a lot in Houston"

Well good choice Jeff!

5. AGBee

AGBee Member

The article isn't the same without their JVG portrait:

[​IMG]

6. Drewdog

Botox (sp?) works wonders Jeff. Welcome to H-town!!! :D

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I smiled at this.

Of course[/I[ it's a beautiful city; they only took you to the nice spots ("and this is Memorial Park; and now if you can not look out of the window for the next 20 minutes, we'll take you to Bear Creek Park...")

Houston. Strip malls and strip clubs.

The people are cool, though. Houstonians rock.

8. Drewdog

"This is concrete..... get used to its beauty."

"Come back in mid August when its 98 degrees and 100% humidity." (At least he will only be here in the winter :D)

"These are Texas-sized mosquitoes....."