1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistically, how many games does Yao play next season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Apr 30, 2010.

?

How many games for Yao next year?

1. 82 + (Reg. season/playoffs)

38 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 70-81

94 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. 55-69

100 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. 41-54

34 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. Less than 41

27 vote(s)
    9.2%
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He is coming off of an injury, and he has always been injury prone. Let's hope Adelman doesn't run him into the ground and keeps his minutes under 30. If Yao plays 35 per game I could see another injury on the way.

Rockets need to go all out to get Bosh because Yao is not dependable to stay healthy while also playing big minutes at an all-star level.

1 person likes this.
  2. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

do we agree his left foot has been the major issue? have you seen other parts of his body also cause the season ending problem?

he didn't start NBA career with injury prone. his major injury that becomes a routing thing just happened in last 2 or 3 years, mainly on his left foot. other parts of his body look fine so far. IF you believe the doctor and what the doctor did on his left foot does prevent it from re-injury, i don't see why he can't play w/o season ending injury in a few years.

3. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

I would play Yao every game, not 40+ minutes but enough to see how he's going to hold up from here on out.

It's his contract and we need to see where this team is headed. As much as I love Yao, if he get injured again, it's time to move on. We can't keep sitting back having our future rely on unknown health status.

4. agentkirb87

agentkirb87 Member

Ilgauskus from the Cavs went through the same type of thing. He had foot problems that kept him off the court during the beginning of the year, then had this foot surgery. It's been like 7 years and he's missed games in the double digits in those 7 years combined (as in, he's averaged less than 15 games per season each of those years... and the average is actually less than this).

Although, in the interest of complete information, that first year he barely averaged double digits and was only able to play 20-25 minutes a game.

Of course, this was an experimental surgery back then, so hopefully they improved on it.

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

History will repeat itself. Yao will be back eventually, but as soon as he's semi-ready or had a couple good games, Adelman would play him extended minutes again.

At the begining of last season, yao came back from an injury and many fans on the forum criticised Adleman for playing yao extended minutes early on. But as the competition got tougher and yao appeared to be fine, everybody calms down.

That's the year people are talking about backup center, reducing yao's minutes...But there're a few issues preventing it happening:1)cheap and reliable backup centers are hard to come by(or you can say they don't want to spend money there); 2)west is so tough that you don't have many choices but to risk yao's health to stay in playoff run; 3)yao is a hard working and proud person so he's not gonna take smart yet discouraging action-rest himself more;

6. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

You can say im a YOF but as ive watched the rockets for over 8 years, ive come to love the team with or without Yao. I also have to give him 1 more year to see if hes still got it. If he doesnt Morey has to change our gameplan and not have Yao as our franchise player.

7. redao

redao Member

In contract year, even TMAC knew it was time to play.

Yao will play 70+ games. mark it.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I want to say all...

But my gut tells me around 50-60....limping into the playoffs.

Call me cynical....

But as much as I loved our TMAC Yao combo....I've grown soooo sick and tired of their annual injuries. Glad TMAC's gone....hoping Yao can stay healthy...if not ....SEE YA.

9. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

No one can argue that Yao has or hasn't been injury prone in pass season's, but IMO none of his injuries should have any long term effect on his career except maybe this foot injury... and then again maybe not. The doctors went in and strengthen the area and added some support. As you stated this is not a new procedure.

I hoping for at least 70 games though.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He won't play early on because he'll need to get conditioning. I think he'll avg. 20 minutes before All-star break and increase it to 30 minutes after the break.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I can't vote on this. It depends too much on how Yao feels when the season starts...heck if he's still hurting I'd have trouble believing that he'll be ready for an NBA season in 6 months.

I think ,more than anything, I'm wondering what kind of contract he'll be asking for when negotiations start. I highly doubt he'll be anywhere close to the max anymore...and if he demanded that(which he probably will) I really hope management will make the right decision and cut their losses.

12. amaru

amaru Member

His usual 50-60 game before going down with another injury or a flare up of the current one.

13. role_50

role_50 Member

my biggest concern is not how many games he'll play with the Rockets it's how many he'll play for china? If the Rockets can't negotiate different terms about his play in China, then i say cut their loses. I think its the year long basketball thats got his body tired.

14. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

I voted between 55-69, but I hope it can be more. Rick has to make sure he keeps Yao mins. in check at about 27-30 a night, we dont need Yao playing over 30 mins that will only lead to bad things. His body just cant take that much of a beating.

15. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

Realistically, do you think any of us are psychic? Maybe psychotic, but not psychic.

16. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

i would guess 66-75 regular season games...if we make the playoffs he will play.

17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he will be traded during the offseason.

18. Someguy1229

Someguy1229 Member

My guess would be 60-70 games, lets hope he can do it.

19. Trackball

Trackball Member

Yao Ming is a wonderful human being, and he deserves better than this...but I see him only playing about 70 games (I voted for 70-81).

I just hate it when I see a man with such a great talent love for the game get forced to sit on the sidelines because his body had other plans. And it wasn't even due to a dumbass decision he made, like Bobby Hurley and Jay Williams. Yeah, remember when Bill Simmons wrote this?

(Yes, he rescinded this six months later. That don't change what he said none. Nuh-uh. [/exaggeratedtexasaccent])

Of course, as you probably know, Jay Williams got in a motorcycle accident that was his own damn fault because he was was not wearing a helmet, was not licensed to drive a motorcycle in Illinois, and in fact was violating the terms of his contract by riding the new bike. He damaged a major nerve in his leg (among other injuries) and was never the same again.

Yao Ming's too smart and mature to do that. (Plus, you know, the whole "too big to ride a motorcycle" thing. But that's beside the point.)

...Wow, it's amazing how far I can get off-topic. Anyway, yeah, 95% chance he won't play in every single game.

20. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

I would say he can play every single game, but of course playing less than 30 minutes a game, which I think is the best way to go.