1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Inside Bay Area] Howard Mentioned in Possible Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by qzf2qk, Feb 8, 2005.

1. qzf2qk

qzf2qk Member

This appears to be the writer trying to come up with trades. I hope the deal with the Rockets does not happen. The trade works but we would have an extra year of Fisher.

What about Taylor/Gaines for Dale Davis? The trade works.

Inside Bay Area

Warriors could have it made in the trade

CHRIS MULLIN HAS spent a lot of time around the Warriors' office in recent weeks, and with good reason.
    No, he's not thinking about firing coach Mike Montgomery. Not yet, anyway.

Rather, he's preparing to cash in on a distinct advantage the Warriors enjoy over most NBA teams this month.

A high lottery pick, expiring contracts, young talent, several affordable contracts in the $5 million range ...

With many tradeable players and assets residing in Oakland, the road to a big-time, league-wide deal before the Feb.24 deadline just might go through Golden State.

No, you're not going to get Jason Richardson or Troy Murphy. Probably not Andris Biedrins, either.

And I'm guessing you don't want Adonal Foyle, Zarko Caparkaba or Luis Flores.

But the Warriors have a lot more to offer than that.

The question is: Are Mullin and Rod Higgins, both rookies in their current roles, creative and savvy enough to put together the best possible deals, ones that might involve three or four teams?

Here are the key possessions the Warriors could afford to surrender — and at least one possible destination for each — if the right offer were to come their way:

-Clifford Robinson: He's the most likely Warrior to go because, other than Dale Davis, it makes the least sense to keep him.

Robinson is a free agent at season's end who won't be back with the team next season. And while an expiring contract ($5.3 million) is good, it means a lot more to a team trying to get under the salary cap, which Golden State cannot do.

The Heat would die to add a defensive-minded sidekick up front for Shaquille O'Neal, but the Warriors have no interest in the asset Miami is dangling (Eddie Jones). So the key will be finding a third team that could throw a shooting guard into the mix (Latrell Sprewell or Jalen Rose?) that would attract Miami and allow Mullin to pluck teenager

Dorell Wright from the Heat.

In any deal, the Warriors also have two nice potential throw-ins — Eduardo Najera ($3.8 million) and Calbert Cheaney ($1.6 million) — to help make the numbers add up.

-Dale Davis: He's Robinson times two in terms of expiring contracts ($10.1 million) but divided by two in terms of ability to help his new team.

One reason Mullin probably will wait until the eve of the deadline to make a deal is expiring contracts are most attractive to teams that have put up the white flag on the season. Once a team gives up on this season, it starts thinking about next season, and what better place to start than the free-agent market?

At this early stage, the Bucks would seem to be as likely as any team to start planning ahead, especially with star Michael Redd scheduled to become a free agent.

He has given no indication he has any intention of returning to the Bucks, so it would behoove Milwaukee to deal him and the biggest, longest contract possible in an effort to become one of the summer's prime players.

If Milwaukee also has grown tired of Keith Van Horn, who stands to make $15.7 million next season, the Bucks could deal him and Redd to the Warriors for the expiring contracts of Robinson and Davis — which would push them more than $20 million under the cap in the off-season — Mike Dunleavy and a future first-round pick or two.

The Warriors also are a good third (or fourth) team to get involved if the Hawks, as expected, deal Antoine Walker at the deadline. Atlanta would be looking to get cap space in return — Walker makes $14.6 million — and the contracts of Robinson and Davis match that almost perfectly.

Atlanta could send Walker to Minnesota, which could ship Latrell Sprewell to Dallas, which could provide the Warriors with two young players (Marquis Daniels and Devin Harris?) and an expiring contract (Alan Henderson?). The Hawks would receive Robinson and Davis from the Warriors.

-Mickael Pietrus: Presuming no major deal is made, Mullin will be looking at a team next season heavy in guards but light up front, especially with Robinson and Davis no longer around.

It could get even further lopsided following a draft featuring a lot of talented little guys.

That's why trading Pietrus, who has tremendous potential, makes some sense — but only if the Warriors get a quality big man in return.

Like Golden State, the Nuggets have little interest in dealing their best young talent, Nene. But Kiki Vandeweghe's club is so strong up front with Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin and Marcus Camby, he must consider parting with Nene, especially if he could acquire immediate guard help that would add a dependable weapon to a resurgent team making a playoff run this season.

Pietrus for Nene. It could help both teams.

-Derek Fisher: Say what you want about Fisher, he has been almost exactly as advertised. Above all, he's a veteran presence that a coach feels comfortable having on the floor down the stretch.

And remember this: The Warriors didn't offer Fisher more money per season than his other primary suitors (Seattle and Houston). They just offered more years. So it's not like his annual salary is a deal-breaker.

Dealing Fisher wouldn't be easy, but Mullin would be wise to start with the Rockets, who wanted him in the first place and whose coach (Jeff Van Gundy) is the old-school type.

The price might be right for a Rockets club looking to be a postseason factor. All the Warriors would ask for in return is Juwan Howard, who immediately would be the club's best low-post presence.

-Their 2005 first-round pick: It would seem there's no way Mullin is going to give up his lottery seat, but everything has a price.

First you must ask yourself: Ideally, what would the Warriors acquire with their high first-round pick?

The answer, obviously, is A star.

OK, so what if a team were to offer you a proven star for the pick? Wouldn't you at least have to consider it?

Consider this: The Celtics deal Paul Pierce and Gary Payton to the Warriors for Robinson, Davis, Speedy Claxton and the No.1 pick unprotected.

The Warriors get their star — a 27-year-old to build the franchise around — and a hometown hero to man the point guard position for a couple years. For that, they give up two guys who are leaving at season's end, a decent young point guard and a pick that could turn out to be as low as No.6 by the time all is said and done.

Isn't that a good deal?

Meanwhile, the Celtics would get a young point guard to run the floor with blossoming talents Tony Allen and Al Jefferson, a legitimate shot at winning the lottery and sufficient cap relief to pursue Redd or Ray Allen over the summer.

Isn't that a good deal?

Now, ladies and gentlemen, you see why Mullin is hanging around his phone.

Stay tuned.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I would do your proposed Dale Davis trade just to get rid of Taylor's contract and take on an expiring one.

I don't like Fisher. Never did, never will.

3. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

We already have Wesley who basically does everything that Fisher would do for us. Who would have thought the warriors would regret that contract?

4. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Houston trades: PF Maurice Taylor (7.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 23.8 minutes)
    Houston receives: SF Eduardo Najera (4.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.5 minutes)
    PG Derek Fisher (11.4 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.0 apg in 28.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +8.1 ppg, +1.1 rpg, and +3.5 apg.

Golden State trades: SF Eduardo Najera (4.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.5 minutes)
    PG Derek Fisher (11.4 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 4.0 apg in 28.3 minutes)
    Golden State receives: PF Maurice Taylor (7.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 1.4 apg in 23.8 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -8.1 ppg, -1.1 rpg, and -3.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Golden State being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Golden State had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

5. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Now I'm scared about breaking this team up too much (for this season).

And I'm not really sure it was a bad thing we lost Fisher.

6. The Ming Dynasty

The Ming Dynasty Contributing Member

Bad trade. If you move Howard who starts at PF? MoT? We've already been down that road.

7. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

The last thing we need is another over paid point guard, plus Howard has been pretty good lately, his trade vaule is way up, we can get someone better than Fisher for him.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Whose contract runs through the end of the decade.

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, this is a bad trade for the Rockets. Fisher has an even longer contact than Howard, and it all of a sudden makes "Milk Carton" Taylor the starter again. Maybe if they throw in Robinson for a Rocket player with one more year left on thier contract (evens everything out contract-wise), then I may think about it. They say the draft is guard heavy and they already are stacked in the backcourt, how about a swap of 1st -rounders as well?

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Total dreamcasting by the writer. No way the Rox move Howard, who's actually performing, for an overpaid guard with an even longer contract.

11. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I dont like Howard that much but i still wouldnt do this trade. We dont need Fisher right now and we need Howard as long as Mo isnt playing and he keeps sucking it up while he does play. I wanted Fisher in the offseason but now seeing what he is doing and how he is playing in Golden State, I would rather wait till offseason and pick up a free agent point. Hopefully antonio daniels.

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets wanted to make some waves in their roster movement...

Taylor+Howard for Robinson+Fisher+Najera. The Rockets would then have to clear a roster spot (most likely Barrett). The salaries work extremely well - they are within about ~150K of each other this year, and the overall value beyond this year (assumed Rockets decline option on Robinson, and Howard accepts his player opt) is less than a 500K difference. We get out a year later on Howard/Taylor with Fisher/Najera, but in the Taylor case at much lesser costs.

It's an odd move, I'm not sure what I think about it. They key is getting rid of Taylor. The Robinson/Najera combo would provide a huge boost in the defense at the 4 slot.

It's a major shift in our salary structure away from long term at the 4 slot (Robinson's option would be declined, leaving us with ~9-10 mill in PFs in Spoon/Najera going into next year, vs. the ~21 mill in Taylor/Howard/Spoon), but more contracts in the backcourt. This would allow us to better guarantee potential free agents minutes at the 4, and not be sitting as many big contracts.

A huge dependency would be on Clifford Robinson- does he have half a year left? He's an excellent man and help defender, and can hit a jumpshot, or at least used to be able to. Najera would provide another defensive option off the bench to throw at opponents- I think Odom's 4th quarter and Swift have shown what the quicker and longer PFs can do to us, because we simply can't match up with them well.

Other effects would be the ability to play Sura at the 2/3 more often, perhaps in a better fit for him, and allowing TMac to rest a bit more.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We don't need Fisher. Sura is just fine where he is. Getting rid of MoT should be our first priority.

14. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

Never like Fisher...and I don't think I ever will...I can't wait till he flops his way out of the NBA :mad:

15. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

I highly doubt the warriors take any of our PFs. They gave Troy Murphy a 60 million dollar extension this summer and they are not goin to have a 8 million dollar back up in MoT.

16. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

qzf2qk suggested a Howard/Gaines for Dale Davis trade and I'd do that in a heartbeat. Davis is obviously well past his prime, but he can still rebound (4.7 boards in 15.7 minutes/game) and can probably still hit a 10-12 ft jumper. More importantly, it would clear quite a bit of cap - enough maybe to get Swift next season?

Hey, if our winning continues, we might even consider getting Swift and change for Davis and a 1st rounder. OK, total dreamcasting there, I admit.

17. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If Fisher's contract length was the deal breaker this summer, why would the Rockets go after him now when they're on a mini-roll? I'm not too worried in any case, as I'm pretty sure Chris Mullen has never once gotten the better of ANY GM in the league.

18. kgw

kgw Member

How about

Taylor + Gaines + 2006 #1

for

Robinson + Najera + Pietrus + 2005 #2.

19. a-rock

a-rock Member

no way golden state would trade those guys for our scrubs and a late first round pick.... this isn´t nba live

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If CD does this deal, then the next thing they will try to sell him is the Golden Gate bridge. Bad deal, DF ain't all that and the Warriors paid too much for him.