1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato, Working hard??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HotRocket, Jul 18, 2002.

1. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Just a few moments ago on a 610 interview with Carol Dawson, C.D was mentioning players that have been working hard over the summer. He of course mentioned Griffin, Taylor, and Steve, but what was the most interesting was that he said that the player that he thought that had been working the hardest was KELVIN CATO

I guess Yao Ming really did light a fire in Cato. If he really does want to improve; how will this affect Ming?

If both Ming and Cato turn out to be good centers, who will get to start? A veteran center or a budding all-star?

#1 HotRocket, Jul 18, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2002
  2. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

It will be good for Ming to have someone to compete against and it will allow Rudy to bring Ming along slowly.

3. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

It's kinda funny, the guys at 610 are more amazed than I am. Every few minutes they mention how Cato is working "hard" over the summer. They even play the clip of CD saying it to prove that he really did say it.

4. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

CD may be trying to build up Cato's trade value. Finally we can unload him!

5. AcBrave

AcBrave Member

oh ya~, i'll love to c dat

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If Rudy plays Cato more than 10minutes he will be stunting Yao's development.

7. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Cato is the no. 1 stunter! :cool:

8. Sane

Sane Member

Oh please, Ming will be dying to breathe 10 minutes into the game. I'll be completely honest with you and tell you that if he were given starter's minutes, he'd probably be one of the worst rookies in history. People would probably call him a bust.

Don't fool yourself. Yao has to work on being able to PLAY first, to be able to learn how to play good.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

lets get ready for a year of

"they wasted the #1 pick"

"ming is a bust"

and "worst #1 pick ever!"

then in 3-4 years

"he is amazing"

"he changed the game"

"one of the top ten centers ever"

10. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Potential injuries, foul trouble, Shaq, and the 80 game rookie fatigue/fade are enough reasons to make Cato valuable.

Is it possible that Cato could take minutes from Kenny Thomas or Mo Taylor? Could he ever play that well, or fit a specific role that well?

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

SANE:- YAO will start and early on will get only 20 mins per. This is the least acceptable by the paying public and the least that will keep the CBA happy! Yao is a quick and experienced learner and should pick up the basics of the NBA Game quite quickly. 1st. Game 20mins. 10pts 7rbs.IMHO

12. Sane

Sane Member

Smoothie, I agree totally.

What people fail to realzie also is that Ming is ALREADY fatigued, and he still has mroe international games, after which he will head staright into preseason and then the 82-game schedule.

If RESTED rookie can't take the rigours of the NBA season, what about someone like Ming, who will have just finished 2 INTERNATIONAL tournaments.

I'm actually thinking we give him the preseason off, as well as the first 5 games, THEN bring him off the bench starting with 12 minutes a game, then go up a minute every agme after that till he gets to 25, and stop there.

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope that Cato will change his ways,but he tends to play well in the preseason or in some of the regular season games and then go back to his own lazy ways.

14. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

If Rudy plays Cato more than 10minutes he'll be tanking.

15. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

I will never understand people that get down on a player and the player works hard trying to get better and they still want to get rid of him.

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Gotta love it!!! One thing that brings all clutchcity.net posters together is their unconditional hatred for Kelvin Cato.

17. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see a Triumph the Insult Comic Dog tagline here ... Yeah, Kelvin Cato's been really working hard in the offseason, building a solid game of offense and defense...

Oh, you know the tagline.

18. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Cato should have tried more in the first place, not now when he has to get better.

19. Stylez

Stylez Member

Cato will start for at least the first 1/3 of the year so we should all get these fantasies of Ming coming over and starting and posting double-doubles off the bat out of our heads. Smoothie & Sane are right about what we can expect from Ming. I don't think we need to rush this, we have a solid core of players so Ming doesn't have to come over and be an immediate impact. As long as he develops in 2-3 years we should all be happy.

Cato isn't a good center we all know that but he is an average center. Yes, he's overpaid but so is TMcCullough, Calvin Booth, Jahidi White, and the list goes on and on. When CD said that about Cato I almost fell out of my chair in disbelief but if its true I'm happy. Better late than never b/c as much as most of you guys hate to admit, I think Cato will play an important role for the Rockets. At least this year he will IMHO.

20. Panda

Panda Member

How can you guys doubt Cato's been working hard??? Last time I checked, he's working very hard to repaint his purple rainbow van!!!